Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User XAVIER622
(newbie) Fri 12-Feb-21 14:35:26
Print Post

FTPP Home - Vodafone/Cityfibre networking options

[link to this post]

Hi All,

I am a bit of a internet/computer noob. I have recently moved into a new home and had the new cityfibre/vodafone fibre put in. I now have 500Mbps internet. I have a powerline from my previous place but it obviously does not carry the full fibre capacity through the back of the house where I am working from home and using most of the internet from.

I just moved into the place and a week into being here I realised the previous owner has set up an internal ethernet system. Pics of the system via link below.

https://imgur.com/a/kb8Dfrt

The sockets (RJ45?) are scattered throughout the house.

How do I get the fibre connection from the black vodafone fibre entry box located at the front of my house through to the back of my place via the netgear switch?

Can I just plug a CAT5e plug into it that is connected to the netgear box and another Cat5e plug from the RJ45 socket into the vodafone router?

Do I need a different cable from the black box to the netgear box then a cat5e? the current one says WAN/LAN and looks like a cat 5/6 cable.

Any suggestions warmly welcomed

Thanks.

Edited by XAVIER622 (Fri 12-Feb-21 17:12:49)

Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Sat 13-Feb-21 08:03:27
Print Post

Re: FTPP Home - Vodafone/Cityfibre networking options

[re: XAVIER622] [link to this post]

[the pitfalls of trying to determine a strangers cabling and internet access layout, but will give it a go ;-) ]

Yes it’s quite possible - with caveats. Hopefully the cabling is all working and in good order and outlets are in convenient locations, especially for your new incoming fibre service.

Presumably all the RJ45 sockets scattered around the house are cabled back to the Netgear switch location, either back to more RJ45 sockets near the switch or perhaps by the look of it directly wired as per the photos into the switch? Are any of the outlets numbered or labelled in any way? I’m guessing not by the state of the “install”.

Looks like some of the switch ports (blue cables ports) are active. Do you know where they go /what they are plugged into?

Is there an RJ45 socket near to the Cityfibre ONT (black box on wall where fibre comes in)?

Lots of questions - but what may appear straightforward could be not so, especially if your not quite sure what’s you’re doing. No offence intended.

Did you wish to place the Vodafone (or your own) router near the Netgear switch or near the Cityfibre ONT?

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User DG834MAN
(member) Sat 13-Feb-21 13:37:03
Print Post

Re: FTPP Home - Vodafone/Cityfibre networking options

[re: XAVIER622] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XAVIER622:
Can I just plug a CAT5e plug into it that is connected to the netgear box and another Cat5e plug from the RJ45 socket into the vodafone router?

Yes it should be that simple

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to