Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Woolwich
(experienced) Tue 16-Feb-21 16:50:43
Print Post

LSOH Low Smoke Ethernet cable - where, why, when?

[link to this post]

What's the rule for using LSOH Ethernet cable? I guess there will be a planning requirement and or safety regs to stop folk getting poisoned.
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Tue 16-Feb-21 21:56:52
Print Post

Re: LSOH Low Smoke Ethernet cable - where, why, when?

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

Different building control codes/rules will come into play, depending on the use. Public access or business premises will be quite different to a private residence.

Saying that a single, detached, privately owned residence will be a different proposition to a shared/multi-tenant or local authority owned buildings, high rise apartments etc may have specific building codes that apply.

See IET faq below:
https://electrical.theiet.org/bs-7671/faqs/cables-an...

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 16-Feb-21 22:41:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by Woolwich:
What's the rule for using LSOH Ethernet cable? I guess there will be a planning requirement and or safety regs to stop folk getting poisoned.
For me personally, anything that makes my house and the people in it safer I try to use, LSOH all the way even if safety regulations/planning requirement do not impose it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Wed 17-Feb-21 08:45:00
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Power cabling is more of a concern, as it will be the likeliest source of ignition. But you’re right, if the principle is to use LSOH/LSZH cable then it should be universal through the install. No point in a halfway house.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Woolwich
(experienced) Wed 17-Feb-21 12:53:56
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
For me personally, anything that makes my house and the people in it safer I try to use, LSOH all the way even if safety regulations/planning requirement do not impose it.

Yes, agree. Even though the rest of my cable is plain PVC. LSOH is only a couple of quid extra. Well, £34 PVC, £46 LSOH for 100 metres. (That's Cable Monkey who I've had good dealing with in the past but always willing to hear of any other suppliers of decent - not cheap - networking stuff.)

[edit for typo]

Edited by Woolwich (Wed 17-Feb-21 12:55:02)

Standard User jpm
(member) Wed 17-Feb-21 13:20:15
Print Post

The Euroclass ratings (Eca Dca, Cca, B2ca etc.) are probably more relevant, but have a think about where the cable is being used, and how it's expected to ignite.

If the cabling is chased into walls or inside a partition wall that is boarded with plasterboard then that cable isn't going to burn until the fabric of the building has been compromised, at which point you should have evacuated anyway. The LSZH cabling tends to be when it is running in air handling spaces (e.g. above an acoustic ceiling where supply air goes into the ceiling void and return air is ducted).

A Cca rating on your data cable probably far exceed whatever power cabling is already installed in your house, and that actually carries currents high enough to be able to be the source of a fire.
Standard User jabuzzard
(experienced) Wed 17-Feb-21 20:34:19
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

An advantage to LSOH ethernet cable is that it makes identification really easy as it is usually purple jacketed. So in my house purple = ethernet, red = fire alarm (a special fire proof cable), white = lighting circuit (a LSOH cable), black is satellite/TV and everything else is grey.

Hey I use colour coded patch cables at work so it was entirely natural to colour code my house wiring.
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Wed 17-Feb-21 21:21:34
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

You can get twisted pair in practically rainbow colours. Purple isn’t really any default or guarantee of LSOH. Last year I re-cabled with DCA rated LSOH Cat6A CommScope which in the UK is supplied by default in white-grey jacket, but as said can be ordered it within reason in any colour. Other structured cabling manufacturers have different default jacket colours and they do change from time to time. Where we used Cat5e for linking lighting controls we decided to use green jacketed cable to distinguish it from the structured cabling. Fibre (LAN) often has jacket colours which distinguish singlemode (yellow) from multimode (aqua blue or orange). I patch by colours too. It’s a quick way to distinguish things.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User zyborg47
(legend) Thu 18-Feb-21 12:26:04
Print Post

wow, I never even knew there was such a thing, learn something new every day, so they say.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Sat 20-Feb-21 08:30:32
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Wouldn’t really expect ordinary folks who haven’t any reason to come across this to quite frankly.

LSOH/LSZH as I think was mentioned above was initiated from the commercial structured cabling market - and principally for so called “plenum” spaces in commercial building - effectively the air handling spaces or lungs of a building for HVAC purposes. We were using it more than 25 years ago although it was a lot rarer and more expensive then.

Commercial building often have a multitude of mechanical and electrical devices which are jostling side by side in such spaces. If there is a fire or smoke there then it can be fatal from a smoke circulation perspective, hence the targeting of cables with sheaths that release less deadly smoke and fumes in a combustible situation.

It’s only latterly been more widely used in the domestic and other markets because of later regulation changes.

My Broadband Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to