Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ColinJames
(newbie) Tue 20-Apr-21 19:50:14
Print Post

Internet connection (not)

[link to this post]

I lose the internet too often on an irregular basis. I get the message "Ethernet does not have a valid IP address" .
I use the ethernet for the desktop as this is an old house with brick internal walls. The problem self corrects but I can lose the Internet for several hours. Wireless connectivity on laptops & 'phones is ok.
Any suggestions to fix this would be appreciate.

ColinJames.
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Tue 20-Apr-21 21:37:39
Print Post

Re: Internet connection (not)

[re: ColinJames] [link to this post]

There’s a lot of missing detail of your setup and ISP which could help pinpoint the issue. However that said....if you are directly connected into the router, just a single direct cable - do you experience the same disconnection issue? Does this happen on more than one machine using wired connections?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-Apr-21 22:31:59
Print Post

How long is the cable? Could it be faulty?

Have you tried a different port on the router ?

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ColinJames
(newbie) Wed 21-Apr-21 09:10:51
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Cable has been checked; it is about 20m long. There are four ports on the router and all have been tried. SKY have remotely tested the router and happy it is ok.
Standard User ColinJames
(newbie) Wed 21-Apr-21 09:17:04
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

ISP have remotely tested the router and say it is ok. (although suggesting at one time that the Kindle may be one item too many and was over loading the system; and no there is no gaming, Bitcoin mining, etc., just boring EBay and emails.)
Only the desk top uses the ethernet; laptop, 'phones, Kindle use wireless, generally ok. Self checks on the desktop report all parts functioning ok.
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Wed 21-Apr-21 09:18:46
Print Post

Does this happen with other laptops/PCs that are cable connected? Try with a fresh/new and short cable too.

Edit - just seen your update above. If you’ve only one cable connected machine, you may want to test with another NIC like a USB Ethernet adapter.

Edited by Pheasant (Wed 21-Apr-21 09:26:55)

Standard User amiga_dude
(learned) Wed 21-Apr-21 09:39:43
Print Post

How many devices are connecting to router Cable + WiFi?

On router (Dont know what called on sky) what is Start and End (some routers it total) range of DHCP. ie

IP Pool Starting Address 192.168.1.100
IP Pool Ending Address 192.168.1.149
Which giving a total range of 50.

Or have got something on network that has been set with a static IP and that device is using that IP which router DHCP has been allocated for you use.

Last option do have both your computer and some else using the same static IP.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 21-Apr-21 14:36:57
Print Post

My money is that it is the desktop PC that is the problem. It is quite possible that the NIC has a setting on it for putting it to sleep mode if it is not in use and that can happen in error causing the network interface to essentially stop running. Go into the device properties of the network card in Windows (I am assuming it is Windows) and check any "power management" settings.
Standard User TheInstaller
(learned) Wed 21-Apr-21 15:52:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by ColinJames:
I lose the internet too often on an irregular basis. I get the message "Ethernet does not have a valid IP address" .
I use the ethernet for the desktop as this is an old house with brick internal walls. The problem self corrects but I can lose the Internet for several hours. Wireless connectivity on laptops & 'phones is ok.
Any suggestions to fix this would be appreciate.

ColinJames.

As far as i know, this is a firmware bug on the Sky router. Getting Sky to admit that is a different thing though. I have seen this before, and Sky had sent out three different routers, obviously these update their firmware to the latest version when they go online, and oddly enough all three had exactly the same problem. The wireless connections were fine, only the Ethernet connection fell over, every 3 hours or so roughly.

As most people connect on Wi-Fi these days, this is probably why it hasn't really flagged up.
Standard User ColinJames
(newbie) Thu 22-Apr-21 10:56:20
Print Post

[re: amiga_dude] [link to this post]

Thank you for your reply.
I only half understand what you are saying; even when I was more up to date, i was never that confident setting ip address etc. I will hold onto your advice will be checking other, easier, aspects first.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to