Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Fri 23-Apr-21 06:39:10
Print Post

WiFi 6 AP that blows away a gigabit wired connection

[link to this post]

Enter the Cambium Networks XV3-8

1250 Mbps down and 1280 Mbps up in a real world test with a laptop. As the guys in the test said, unheard of.

But even this test shows you can still go from hero to zero with WiFi when enough walls/obstacles get in the way. Still a very impressive access point (if you can get over the price!)

https://youtu.be/iH1Z5s_MC9Y
Standard User dogcat
(learned) Fri 23-Apr-21 08:48:18
Print Post

Re: WiFi 6 AP that blows away a gigabit wired connection

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

Wow a 8x8 AP. No wonder it costs almost a grand.
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Fri 23-Apr-21 09:26:33
Print Post

[re: dogcat] [link to this post]

Yes two independent 4x4 radios that can be joined to form an 8x8 - however those results are 'just' with 4x4 AX @ 160 MHz channels.

Their "reference" test speeds on AX were 1590 Mbps up and 1250 Mbps down and for AC it was 1120 Mbps up and 1020 Mbps down!

Impressibly it still runs 2x2 AX on 2.4 Ghz too. Equipped with a 5GbE LAN port, so that in itself speaks for the intention they have with this thing.

I wonder with the four (actually five but one is dedicated as a scanning radio) onboard software defined radios, whether they will be enhance it to cover the 6 GHz spectrum in WiFi 6E? Now that could be as truly staggering as the price (perhaps not so staggering for enterprise/education market where this thing is aimed at).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User prlzx
(experienced) Fri 23-Apr-21 13:05:52
Print Post

Enterprise and education wouldn't have a great time running 80MHz let alone 160MHz channels unless and until Wi-Fi spectrum is expanded enough to support minimum 7 non-overlapping channels for buildings with 3 or more floors.

Receive sensitivity and noise is also worse the wider the channel used if you want to consistently achieve the denser 1024QAM and 256QAM constellations.

It's one thing if you try it in an isolated classroom say in a portacabin versus large buildings to support.

Consumer routers defaulting to stupidly wide channels so they can put ACxxxx on the box already harm the experience in residential settings, as they seem to lack the basic intelligence for considerate use of the shared spectrum e.g.
"I have detected x unique neighbouring APs of y signal range so the default setup will be z. You can still change this if you know what you are doing!".

Even if the UK proposals such as this Ofcom consulation,
for equipment operating on the original channels 36-64 I would probably stick with 40MHz, then utilise the wider channels on the newly available frequency ranges, as that would tend to self-select modern or high-end client devices that were most able to take advantage.

However with the trend towards portable devices I really want to see less single antenna/spatial-stream designs or that theoretical capacity will rapidly evaporate once you have more than one client connected, or indeed any appreciable multicast traffic.

This is why I disregard idealised single-simultaneous-client throughput in the same way as marketing puffery.

prlzx on Zen: FTTC (VDSL) at ~40Mbps / 10Mbps
with IP4/6 (no v6? - not true Internet)

Edited by prlzx (Fri 23-Apr-21 13:25:51)

Standard User jabuzzard
(experienced) Fri 23-Apr-21 13:59:36
Print Post

Right and watch while NBaseT at 2.5Gbps blows it away for a LOT less money. I mean a PCIe NIC for £32 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Y2GWVB8), and noting quite a few motherboards have a 2.5GbE port built in, then say a five port 2.5GbE switch for £109 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08CKT147N).

If you want to spend just a little bit more then there are loads of 10Gb Ethernet options that blow WiFi 6 AP out the water. Meanwhile let me get back to my 25Gb, 40Gb and 100Gb ethernet smile

Brand new WiFi standard has ~25% more performance than a 20 year old Ethernet standard is not saying much. You might as well have compared WiFi to Fast Ethernet frankly.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 23-Apr-21 19:20:15
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
Brand new WiFi standard has ~25% more performance than a 20 year old Ethernet standard is not saying much. You might as well have compared WiFi to Fast Ethernet frankly.

I wonder if the new iPad Pros with USB-C can connect a 2.5 GbE, or 10 GbE connector?

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Fri 23-Apr-21 19:57:26
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

The newest M1-based ones announced on Tuesday are Thunderbolt equipped so presumably should take one, but the smallest 10GbE dongles I’ve seen are still pretty huge unlike the ubiquitous 1GbE type...unless of course Apple deign to market a ‘special’ one, but very doubtful. They’ll push for more WiFi 6 😂
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Fri 23-Apr-21 21:19:39
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:

I wonder if the new iPad Pros with USB-C can connect a 2.5 GbE, or 10 GbE connector?

Well the new iPad Pros have Thunderbolt 3, so if the OS supports some chipset (likely will and likely a Realtek one sadly) then yeah, not a problem at all - it could go significantly beyond 10Gbe smile
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Sat 24-Apr-21 05:57:33
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

Right and watch while NBaseT at 2.5Gbps blows it away for a LOT less money. I mean a PCIe NIC for £32 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Y2GWVB8), and noting quite a few motherboards have a 2.5GbE port built in, then say a five port 2.5GbE switch for £109 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08CKT147N).

If you want to spend just a little bit more then there are loads of 10Gb Ethernet options that blow WiFi 6 AP out the water. Meanwhile let me get back to my 25Gb, 40Gb and 100Gb ethernet smile

My (pretty terrible) tabloid thread title has clearly agitated you deeply, for which I wholly and sincerely apologise for offending your 802.3 sensibilities.

Its OK I assure you I'm completely cognisant that WiFi is not about to dust 10/25/40/100/400 or 800 GbE any time soon!!! Also thanks truly for the Amazon 2.5/5 NIC and switch research...but really I'm all good on that front! 😂

So anyhow back to WiFi....if you have any good advice on upgrades from multi-radio 4x4 AC Wave 2 to AX and beyond access points - which is possibly more on topic - then I'd be all ears.

Either way enjoy the sun this weekend 😎
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 24-Apr-21 11:11:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by Pheasant:
They’ll push for more WiFi 6 😂
My (tongue in cheek) prior post was in response to the idea that wired infrastructure can replace WiFi, when corporates have replaced over the last 10/15 years banks of desktops with hot desks and laptops issued to staff. I work for a large multinational and majority of our offices have removed structured data cabling. All end user devices are on WiFi and phone calls are via mobiles. Only cables are the clutter of laptop power supplies and 13A mains.

I've seen some Mac users whom handle 8K video with Thunderbolt connected storage arrays, but I wasn't expecting the iPad Pro to be enabled for such workloads. These are interesting times.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to