User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 19-Sep-19 15:14:58
Print Post

NAT Loopback

[link to this post]

I'm assuming the Technicolor tg588v v2 does not do NAT loopback, which is odd as the Technicolor tg582n I was using does? Is there anyway round this?

I have tried using my tg582n, but [blank], password and install all fail if used as the dsl password and the one in the tg588v is hidden. Anyone know what this should be? I was under the impression that anything would work as the authentication was done on the line, but this doesn't seem to be the case. frown

Shell Energy seem to use 01*********@first-utility.com rather than the 01*********@talktalk.net I thought they would have.

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - NowTV via Technicolor TG582N

Previously - Plusnet, Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet,
X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========

Edited by hk11 (Thu 19-Sep-19 15:16:23)

Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 20-Sep-19 13:56:24
Print Post

Re: NAT Loopback

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

There's a useful page here - http://opensimulator.org/wiki/NAT_Loopback_Routers Not sure how you submit a "new" rooter but the Technicolor TG582N does NAT loopback and the Technicolor TG588v doesn't appear to, if anyone can suss it. wink

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Shell Energy BB via Technicolor TG588V v2

Previously - NowTV, Plusnet, Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========

Edited by hk11 (Fri 20-Sep-19 13:57:50)

Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Fri 20-Sep-19 16:18:17
Print Post

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

And the "proper" solution to accommodate that is to use split horizon DNS. That is if you are in the internal network and lookup myserver.com you get say a 192.168.x.x address and if you are outside the network and lookup myserver.com you get the public IP address. With the added benefit that you don't pound the poor router to death NATing packets that should be handled at layer two.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 20-Sep-19 17:03:07
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

Previously - NowTV, Plusnet, Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Sep-19 19:21:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
And the "proper" solution to accommodate that is to use split horizon DNS. That is if you are in the internal network and lookup myserver.com you get say a 192.168.x.x address and if you are outside the network and lookup myserver.com you get the public IP address. With the added benefit that you don't pound the poor router to death NATing packets that should be handled at layer two.

Very easy to sort if your devices are configurable (e.g. Mac/Linux/Windows) and pick up the DNS server from DHCP, if you run your own. However some people prefer tables and phones these days, and some of these ignore the DHCP provided DNS, and end up using some provided by Google, or a cellular provider, or a mix of the two. Its a bit of a mess frown

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19), 47/6 (Aug/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 25-Sep-19 22:30:51
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

My server (Linux) doesn't get a lot of use, but I do connect via an iPad, so may have the problems you highlight. frown

I'd be reasonably happy if I could use my TG582N as that has worked fine with the last handful of ISPs, but SEBB's total lack of customer care really grates. I don't need any technical support just a password so I can log on!

===========

Edited by hk11 (Wed 25-Sep-19 22:37:04)

Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Thu 26-Sep-19 10:46:17
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

You just need to get your BOFH ban hammer out and block port 53 outbound apart from your DNS server. That will teach them smile

That said with the exception of Apple devices for which I have no experience I have not seen any device ignore the DHCP provided DNS server. It may help however that I am handing out a domain name in the DHCP response (I have a domain name for two decades now for email purposes) so maybe the devices are noting that say nas.mydomain.com really does need to be looked up on the local DNS server rather than something upstream.

However you really want to avoid your router doing hairpin NAT to a NAS box because you are likely going to be sacrificing a lot of performance, and a large file transfer to the NAS could easily cause problems with general internet access while it is going on.
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Sep-19 11:43:41
Print Post

I'm afraid your post goes completely over my head. I'll have to do some Googling. wink

===========
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 05-Oct-19 11:58:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
You just need to get your BOFH ban hammer out and block port 53 outbound apart from your DNS server. That will teach them smile

Ha, nice, but some just switch to cellular (at least the phones). Then there is the whole DNS-over-HTTPS to worry about!

However you really want to avoid your router doing hairpin NAT to a NAS box because you are likely going to be sacrificing a lot of performance, and a large file transfer to the NAS could easily cause problems with general internet access while it is going on.

I agree completely, but I'm not the OP here smile

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9(Sep/17),54/6(Jan/19),46/7(Sep/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
  Print Thread

Jump to