User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 21-Oct-19 13:32:54
Print Post

iP Lease time

[link to this post]

Anybody know why after several weeks of an IP change every couple of days, I've now had the current IP for 17 days?

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Shell Energy BB via Technicolor TG588V v2

Previously - NowTV, Plusnet, Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========

Edited by hk11 (Mon 21-Oct-19 14:24:27)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 21-Oct-19 14:05:03
Print Post

Re: iP Lease time

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

Well I didn't know that, but I do now. wink

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 21-Oct-19 14:20:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Well I didn't know that, but I do now. wink
I couldn't tell what the question was but re-reading it after your comment I do now - so I didn't know the OP had the same IP for the last 17 days either.

It is possible the OP might have been asking why it has been the same for 17 days when previously it had changed more often.

OP - if that was your question then generally IPs only change if the session is disconnected/reconnected. It is possible there were issues on your line or at the ISP that were causing some sort of regular reconnection and that whatever they were have now been largely resolved.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 21-Oct-19 14:25:30
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

You lot are a scream! LOL

One missing word "why", now inserted. wink

Thanks Ian, but previous ISPs usually changed every few days as well; right through a twelve month contract. Only one I have known to have a "sticky" IP was Virgin Media. wink

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Shell Energy BB via Technicolor TG582N

Previously - NowTV, Plusnet, Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========

Edited by hk11 (Mon 21-Oct-19 14:28:30)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 21-Oct-19 14:28:17
Print Post

Did my actual answer in my post make sense?
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 21-Oct-19 14:34:23
Print Post

Yes, and might even be the "correct" answer, given that this is a new contract with a new ISP. Just seemed odd to me, given my previous experience.

I wondered if the shortage of IPv4 addresses meant fewer were getting back to the IP pool or some configuration at Talktalk meant Shell Energy were treated differently from other customers?

Edit:-

I know Sky and Plusnet have what they call DLM that changes an IP every 24 hrs untill the speed settles.

===========

Edited by hk11 (Mon 21-Oct-19 14:36:51)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 21-Oct-19 15:03:30
Print Post

It is down to the ISP - changing ISP will change how it works. ISPs have been known to sticky assign addresses so they barely change at all - it is quite possible Shell will just keep giving you the same address or it may just be you haven't lost connection in the last 17 days and therefore it hasn't had to reassign the address.

There is no benefit to an ISP automatically disconnecting a customer to free up an IP because the router will connect back up in a matter of seconds anyway - so still using the same number of IPs. Shortage of address space is not what drives changes to IPs on your connection.

Shell energy may well be assigning addresses from their own IP pool rather than TalkTalk's - not sure how TalkTalk deal with IP on their wholesale network.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 21-Oct-19 15:12:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by hk11:
You lot are a scream! LOL

One missing word "why", now inserted. wink
smile
I wasn't feeling very bright, so genuinely didn't realise what you meant to be asking. My post was in expectation of your clarifying things, as you have done smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 21-Oct-19 15:22:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

No problem.

You manage to suss out far more than I would.

Obviously a case of *I* knew what I meant. smile

===========
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 21-Oct-19 15:30:41
Print Post

Yes, you would think that changing ISPs would change how it works, but, in my experience, it doesn't.

I eventually gave up waiting for the IP to change and swapped the router back to the one I have had for *five* ISPs now. We will see if my IP changes in a couple of days again or not.

No, I thought it was a pretty daft idea to blame IPV4, but sometimes these things do effect others were you might not think they would.

No, I am not familiar with Talktalk either. My IP always comes up as a Talktalk one anyway. I've never seen Shell Energy mentioned. In fact I think if anyone were mentioned it would be First Utility.

===========
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to