User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User area51r4
(newbie) Sat 21-Nov-20 00:28:08
Print Post

Community Fibre

[link to this post]

Hi see there are a few bits on this provider but none asking or getting the info i was looking for?
What is the Consensus on Community fibre so far?
They have installed they say at our flats run the cables down etc and had the mail then had one on letter box like Woody woodpecker ratta tat tat giving me the speal but was bizzy so got him to jot some bits down on leaflet! 150Mbps £25 a month for 24 months and 400 is £35 likewise.

Did read a few reviews i found one was about multi charging they guy said cleared the others they'd set up then got them saying cutting him off as couldn't cash yet had already taken it.
Others said CS is non existent which sounds like many places 3 and Toytown mobile/one2nowhere was like that.

Loose the landline number if leave Sky not that i ever use it and no sky TV etc either.
Just re did Sky other day so can still cancel £27.50 for 76meg.

So curious on how others think and what plus/negs to them?
One downer is the fact if change/leave or they go bad? is that will have no line to go elsewhere and that used to be at the Mercy of BT Sharks when needing one but that might have changed now with other companies like Sky etc?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 21-Nov-20 13:17:52
Print Post

Re: Community Fibre

[re: area51r4] [link to this post]

You don't lose the Sky TV, satellite TV can still be used, and you can even if you want keep the Sky Phone and broadband running and have two services.

Even if your phone line is turned off by you leaving Sky, the physical wiring remains and you just order a service from sky,BT or others that use the old phone wiring.

Every provider always has some negative reviews,

If you are very unsure there are 30 day. rolling contract options, costs a bit more £29.50 for the 150 Mbps service and £50 setup versus £22.50/m (Black Friday Price) and free setup on 24 month contract.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User heathrow
(newbie) Sun 10-Jan-21 14:02:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Community Fibre have deployed fibre in my street over the last few weeks - they are using the Openreach PIA product. Yesterday they put joint boxes at the top of the DPs.

It's all moving very quickly - looks as if the only fly in the ointment is duct unblocking - but they are pushing hard on that. Our street is clear.

Now waiting to see how long before I can order a circuit.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User heathrow
(newbie) Mon 11-Jan-21 17:29:33
Print Post

[re: heathrow] [link to this post]

So after asking Community Fibre on twitter they referred me to their website.

I put my postcode and address - and CF offered me service.

I've ordered a 1 gig circuit for a 2 year contract.

Install scheduled for Wednesday.

Seperately I called Andrews and Arnold to go through process of how to port our landline number- which is on BT Retail.
Standard User branflakes
(newbie) Tue 12-Jan-21 00:19:47
Print Post

Let us know how it goes. Community Fibre is pulling the draw ropes through the ducts for my BT pole so should be coming soon. I can see the fibre coiled up waiting on the other poles round my area for the joint boxes to go in.

Still in contract with Virgin but if its good, I'll happily take CommunityFibre as my primary WAN and demote Gig1 to failover/WFH only.

I like my internet how I like my breakfast cereal...

VM 1000/50.
Standard User heathrow
(newbie) Tue 12-Jan-21 00:33:14
Print Post

[re: branflakes] [link to this post]

Will do. I took a cheap VM broadband contract (18 months, 100 Mbps) last month.

Having VM for the next 17 months is helpful - I'd like to see how reliable CF is. Openreach's circuit is awful and I need a highly reliable connection for work.

The next challenge after install is reconfiguring the EdgeRouter for CF. I suspect the ipv4 is similar to the VM Hub 3 in modem mode; I would just need to change the configuration to support the /48 offered by CF.
Standard User crazyronnie
(newbie) Tue 12-Jan-21 13:30:53
Print Post

Let me know how it goes, as i currently have a Edgerouter X connected to virgin media hub set to modem mode.

Community Fibre is going live on my road soon...hopefully i can swtich to them before Feb so i can cancel my VM account due to price increases without a termination fee.

Also Community Fibre have launched a VOIP phone service today and they'll let you port your landline over to them for free. The phone service costs £10 a month with unlimited calls to landline and mobiles...not bad for £10 a month VOIP service
Standard User heathrow
(learned) Wed 13-Jan-21 15:00:23
Print Post

[re: crazyronnie] [link to this post]

So, to update:

a) Install was in the slot 0800 - 1200. Two hours is the indicative time. I called CF at 1100 to check. Very helpful customer service. CF chap said we were booked for install. He said he would call the tech's supervisor. He called back 10 mins later and confirmed that were still on for today. I work from home so a later install wasn't a problem.

b) Techs from a subcontractor rolled up at about 11.20. Install went well. In this case the fibre is supplied from a pole, so there was some faffing around using a bolt on the fascia. By 13.40 everything was installed.

Speed on initial test was 900 down, 700 up. Apparently it will adjust later today to the full 1000/1000.

c) Called tech support to get advice on ipv6. CF give you a /48 and will let you use your own CPE - but they don't support it (which is fine). The ONT/modem is an Adtran 621i. It deals with authentication and presents an ipv4 address and issues the /48 for ipv6. I now need to reconfigure the Edgerouter X from AAISP. This involves: a) Removing pppoe b) Converting eth0 to receive an ip4 c) Reconfiguring ipv6 from /64 to /48. Tech support was an Eastern European lady who was friendly, and put on me on hold while she confirmed my question with the network team.

Impression of CF so far is very positive.

The migration to VOIP is going well too. AAISP their usual fantastic selves. They have taken details for the porting of the landline. This has been accepted by BT Retail which has then triggered a cease on the broadband too. The voice line is due to port next Tuesday.
Standard User crazyronnie
(newbie) Wed 13-Jan-21 15:15:42
Print Post

That's great news! I would have thought as it's fibre to the home there wouldn't be any adjustment period for the speeds?

Is your IPV4 CGN or dedicated?

Edited by crazyronnie (Wed 13-Jan-21 15:40:31)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 13-Jan-21 15:26:50
Print Post

I would have thought a /64 or /56 within your /48 would be better than configuring a straight /48.

You're unlikely ever to need all the addresses in a /64, never mind a /56, but starting with either of those enables easy setup of further ones within the /48 should a business or ancillary usage arise. For instance a guest network. (Which is the approach AAISP use on their IPv6 by the way).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 13-Jan-21 15:28:39)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to