User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Canopus
(regular) Mon 07-Dec-20 13:02:08
Print Post

Timico - IP Adress Fixed or Not?

[link to this post]

Back in the beginning of October I received my invoice for the previous month and found I was charged around £100 more than usual. After talking to a helpful woman I found I'd gone over my monthly allowance. She told me that for only a little more I could have unlimited. She sent me the info and I saw the contract would be for that and also listed was First Fixed IP Address whereas previously it had been dynamic. I went ahead.

Since then, I've had two invoices in which I was overcharged and had to phone up to get it reimbursed, but, that is another story. The main confusion come from the fact that I've been logging my IP Address that changed on 23 Oct when I switched to unlimited and then changed three times since. When inquiring why it was changing Timico got back to me to inform me that I had a dynamic IP Address and that "First Fixed IP Address" means a Dynamic Address. The person I talked to admitted he didn't understand the strange use of the phrase either.

So, can anyone with a bit of legal and technical know-how explain how "First Fixed IP Address" could mean its complete opposite "Dynamic Address"?

Standard User JonRennie
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Dec-20 14:56:17
Print Post

Re: Timico - IP Adress Fixed or Not?

[re: Canopus] [link to this post]

Sounds like they don't know what they're talking about.

Also...£100 for going over your allowance - by how much? That's a lot of money!

wink Comms is hard wink
Standard User Canopus
(regular) Sun 03-Jan-21 11:23:59
Print Post

[re: JonRennie] [link to this post]

Well today my IP address changed again, which makes me now on my 4th Fixed IP Address I suppose.

The £100 odd pounds they charged me was for going over my limit of 200 Gigs a month by 50 Gigs at £2 a Gig. My normal charge would have been just under £20. Seems rather a lot to me too. What [censored] me off more was that I set up an email notification when I got near the limit, yet I didn't receive one. I checked in my profile and notifications were definitely turned on, but, they can always make excuses why I didn't get it I suppose.

Well I know one thing, after my new 2-year contract has ended I intend saying goodbye and good riddance. I can't figure out whether they are incompetent or deceptive. Considering the nomenclature of "Fixed IP Address" and their interpretation of it I would say the latter.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jpm
(member) Sun 03-Jan-21 11:55:19
Print Post

[re: Canopus] [link to this post]

Have you actually raised the issue of your static IP not being static with support?

On their own support page (https://www.timico.com/support/) under "service amendment", "things to consider before contacting a new provider" it says "Timico provide static IP addresses as standard".

I'd move anyway because a metered service in 2021 is a bit of an anomaly, but if you're in contract for ~2 more years then you may as well get it working properly.

Edited by jpm (Sun 03-Jan-21 12:01:16)

Print Thread

Jump to