User comments on ISPs
  >> Other Providers (without dedicated forums)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gordon_k
(member) Fri 29-Jan-21 15:05:18
Print Post

SSE Broadband Switchover Bill

[link to this post]

Request for advice for folk more experienced in the ways of ISPs...

Recently switched broadband from SSE ADSL to Vodafone Fibre when my SSE contract was due to expire.

14 Dec - was due to switch, but because of problems with Openreach fibre it didn't go thru until
6 Jan - at which point my SSE stopped working, and I hooked up the Voda router and connected at fibre speed
19 Jan - Received £53 bill from SSE - compared to usual £18 (since by this time out of contract) - up till 18 Jan
.............emailed SSE for an explanation Jan 19 and again Jan 27 - autoresponses but no replies to either email
26 Jan - Discovered while trying to set up a static IP that my Vodafone order "hadn't fully gone thru yet"
.............( despite the fact I'd now been using their router and fibre-speed service for 3 weeks )
29 Jan - Received "now you're connected" type email from Vodafone

My question is - should I cancel my SSE direct debit before the bill gets taken?

I'm expecting the £53 SSE direct debit to be taken around 2nd / 3rd Feb, and would not be at all surprised to receive a further bill at the same crazy rate to cover the period till the 29th

Am I better sorting this out from a position of cancelled direct debit, and them pursuing me for the amount, or would this likely cause me further problems?

Edited by gordon_k (Fri 29-Jan-21 15:07:01)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 29-Jan-21 15:17:51
Print Post

Re: SSE Broadband Switchover Bill

[re: gordon_k] [link to this post]

It's never easy to sort out this kind of thing, but the general experience on these forums of cancelling direct authorisations makes things far worse.

The reason for that is most providers provide any refunds due or agreed via that system. If you've cancelled the d/d then they can't, and the raising of manual credit payments by cheque or bank transfer seems to be more difficult than the Brexit negotiations.

In short - don't cancel!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Standard User gordon_k
(member) Fri 29-Jan-21 15:45:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Great - that's what I needed to know. Thank you!

I tried asking the Vodafone guy who just sorted my IP to explain what the situation was (i.e. how I could have been using their service three weeks if my order "hadn't fully gone thru") but he basically said I'd need to sort it out with SSE myself, and they'd be able to see the situation from their end...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative uno
(isp) Fri 29-Jan-21 23:20:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by gordon_k:
I tried asking the Vodafone guy who just sorted my IP to explain what the situation was (i.e. how I could have been using their service three weeks if my order "hadn't fully gone thru") but he basically said I'd need to sort it out with SSE myself, and they'd be able to see the situation from their end...

Quite possibly as SSE use Vodafone so even though it went from ADSL to VDSL, you're still within the same routed network, just likely a change of login details.

Had this gone between two unconnected networks, you would have probably still been with the old provider until that welcome email and not been able to connect to them before then. Or potentially a loss of both.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
uno Speedtest
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User jaba
(member) Sat 30-Jan-21 00:26:21
Print Post

You might find that part of your bill is a cease fee passed on from OR. I was charged £32 in May when I did the same as you have done - ADSL to Fibre with a new provider.
Standard User j0hn83
(knowledge is power) Sat 30-Jan-21 12:13:14
Print Post

[re: jaba] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jaba:
You might find that part of your bill is a cease fee passed on from OR. I was charged £32 in May when I did the same as you have done - ADSL to Fibre with a new provider.

I was also thinking it could be a cease charge.

I don't think these are passed on by OpenReach though, but by the backhaul provider.

I'd also caution against cancelling the direct debit
Standard User gordon_k
(member) Sat 30-Jan-21 12:19:09
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by uno:
Quite possibly as SSE use Vodafone so even though it went from ADSL to VDSL, you're still within the same routed network, just likely a change of login details.

Had this gone between two unconnected networks, you would have probably still been with the old provider until that welcome email and not been able to connect to them before then. Or potentially a loss of both.

Ah I didn't realise that - but it did strike me that throughout the various glitches and hitches I never seemed to lose my connection.

Hopefully should make the whole thing easier to resolve.
Standard User gordon_k
(member) Sat 30-Jan-21 12:31:43
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
In reply to a post by jaba:

I was also thinking it could be a cease charge.

I don't think these are passed on by OpenReach though, but by the backhaul provider.

I'd also caution against cancelling the direct debit

There wasn't any cease fee mentioned, just a day-by-day bill for the service - as far as SSE were concerned, I hadn't migrated yet.

They had told me something like, "Your cost of your unlimited broadband will be £24 a month when your contract expires" - which I thought was fine for a couple of weeks, since I'd been paying £18 under contract. But when the bill arrived, it became apparent that this new price didn't include line rental, being charged at around £20 a month!

The cease fee could be coming though. laugh

Edited by gordon_k (Sat 30-Jan-21 12:40:19)

Standard User sparky_paul
(experienced) Thu 11-Feb-21 10:23:21
Print Post

I was charged a cease fee when I switched from ADSL to FTTC with another provider, back in July. I challenged it, and it was instantly refunded - I had been charged "in error".

So, if it does come, and it's just a OR transfer, challenge it!

>>> BTFibre 2 FTTC
Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Thu 11-Feb-21 12:41:33
Print Post

[re: sparky_paul] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by sparky_paul:
I was charged a cease fee when I switched from ADSL to FTTC with another provider, back in July. I challenged it, and it was instantly refunded - I had been charged "in error".

Makes you wonder how many other punters were charged "in error" and weren't switched on enough to challenge the charge. Probably a nice little earner.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to