User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

These posts have been archived and can no longer be replied to or modified.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ian72
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 02-Mar-09 16:55:48
Print Post

Confused on contracts

[link to this post]

So, I know about 18 months contracts for new customers. There are loads of comments on here about contracts but ...

I have an account with someone on BBYW2. Would be good to move them to Value as it is cheaper and has the allowance they need. However, nowhere in the process of doing the change can I find any links to Ts&Cs that state that it will start a new 18 month contract - am I missing it? Can anyone point me to where it says existing customers will incur a new contract? Surely if it incurs a new contract it should say this at some point during the process of selecting the upgrade?
Standard User dieselglider
(experienced) Mon 02-Mar-09 17:51:38
Print Post

Re: Confused on contracts

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

As an exsisting customer, they will (should..) get put on to a 12 month contract, instead of an 18 month. It may take a bit of interaction to ensure it happens ok. I think it is actually stated on the ticketing system when ordered, although that doesn't help your contact at this stage.

BBYWpro
Standard User fig
(committed) Mon 02-Mar-09 18:19:03
Print Post

[re: dieselglider] [link to this post]

An existing customer can goto a new package which has an 18 month minimum contract length and choose to only have a 12 month contract, but not take any hardware (i.e. a router). If you want a new router, sign up for 18 months, if you dont, 12.

If you are moving to value on a market 3 exchange, you will only be paying £6 a month, so may be worth getting the router and swallowing the extra 6 months if you are happy with the service. Then after 6 months, you could move again (within or external to PN) and probably get another router or discount, always good having a spare router though as I found out when mine exploded after a storm one day!

plusnet 4/11/2003 -> ????
O2 ????

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 03-Mar-09 08:16:53
Print Post

[re: fig] [link to this post]

Thanks to both of you for the replies. So where in the sign up process for upgrading an existing connection does it tell you the contract length you are signing up to?

The connection I am thinking of wouldn't need any hardware but it isn't a market 3 exchange so would be paying approx £11 per month - which is not a significant saving for getting locked into even a 12 month contract.
Standard User fig
(committed) Tue 03-Mar-09 08:24:24
Print Post

Before moving, how much of a saving would it be? It may be worth looking at alternatives, like if they have Sky, look at Sky which is £0/£5/£10, or if they have an O2 mobile they could get O2 Standard for under £10 a month, that's assuming that LLU is enabled at their exchange.

Failing that, Value is a reasonable product for a low volume user, but on a Market 2 exchange there must better deals than £12 a month.

Check the exchange at samknows to see if any other operators are due to enable LLU in a few months, it could end up being a Market 3 exchange which would cost you only £6 a month on value then, but PN wont lower the price until after your initial contract period has expired.

O2 ????
Standard User ian72
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 03-Mar-09 09:52:54
Print Post

The exchange has 0 LLU and won't get 21CN WBC for some time. Plusnet has always been a reasonable option and the new packages are attractive but for the tie in (because they are in tied rented accommodation and there is always the threat that they may need to move on). I will leave them where they are for now I think unless it becomes more attractive to move (the benefits do not currently outweigh the tie in).

But it still doesn't change the fact that I have been unable to find the contract tie in details whilst going through the upgrade on the site - and if it isn't clearly visible then I can't see how they could hold someone to the contract.
Standard User fig
(committed) Tue 03-Mar-09 09:59:57
Print Post

Well, sounds like PN value is ideal then, bar the tie in.

If you goto the plusnet home page, click on residential and then click on More Info under the Value banner, it's not displayed clearly there, the window isnt sized enough to show you the minimum contract length (clever design or accident, you decide), but if you scroll the window down you will see it mentions the 18 month minimum.

O2 ????
Standard User ian72
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 03-Mar-09 10:09:50
Print Post

I have seen that - it clearly states the minimum contract length is 18 months - and yet this thread states it is 12 months for existing customers who don't take equipment - and yet that doesn't get stated here.

And when you go through the member portal to select an upgrade I can see no links on the product details to take you to that page or any other that describe the product or the Ts&Cs for it. So, you can go through the entire upgrade process (from what I can see) and never get told (or linked to) anywhere that says it is 12 months if you don't take hardware or 18 months if you do.

At the end of the process a box comes up with the Ts&Cs and the only thing stated about minimum term is:
Minimum period

4. If the service is intended to last for a minimum period, details will be set out in the special-offer terms or the price terms. The minimum period will start on the date that we provide the service to you, unless the service terms say otherwise.

Nowhere does it say what the term is within this process. And I can't find any reference to a 12 month contract for existing users anywhere on the site.
Standard User fig
(committed) Tue 03-Mar-09 10:17:43
Print Post

Not sure if the minimum period is an automatic thing, or if you have to contact PN directly to get 12 months + no hardware instead of 18 months + hardware.

If you do want to migrate, it's worth raising a ticket instead I would say at the moment explaining you want the 12 months without the hardware rather than the 18 months with.

It's a recent change because of the numerous complaints, however it's stil not enough many feel, myself included which is why after 5+ years of being with PN I'm leaving tomorrow smile

O2 ????
ISP Representative Metronet_James
(isp) Tue 03-Mar-09 12:13:51
Print Post

Hi there,

Because Value & Unlimited are by default, on 18 month contracts, you need to raise a ticket to request the change to a 12 month contract as an existing customer.

To do this:

- Go to http://help.plus.net
- Select Customer Services and Billing
- Select Account Management
- Select Change or Upgrade your product
- Select Change to Value/Unlimited
- Select Change to 12 month contract

We'll then pick it up and change your contract terms.

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to