User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User M100
(regular) Thu 10-Oct-19 19:36:31
Print Post

Line rental without broadband

[link to this post]

Had an hours totally fruitless wait on hold / conversation with plusnet

I've still got a few months left of line saver rental but my broadband 'deal' is coming to an end shortly with a rise from £1 a month to £11

There is not a hope in hell of fibre arriving round here, the line is noisy and getting slower and slower, partial fixes take months.

The line rental plus broadband from next month amounts to something around £27 a month

I really want to cease my broadband, it's unreliable, slow and openreach are beyond useless in properly fixing things

Plusnet say they don't do 'just' line rental

So I can either lose the remaining months on my line saver or overpay a very silly amount for broadband I can never use nor want to use.

As of now Plusnet are advertising they do broadband only with someone else clearly providing the landline element, but as indicated in an adjacent thread they are stopping that option.

Are plusnet in any way obligated through the terms of their telecommunications licence to provide a landline only?

Is there any other option for me to cease the broadband and still keep the landline for now?
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 10-Oct-19 20:21:45
Print Post

Re: Line rental without broadband

[re: M100] [link to this post]

Plusnet may charge you if you wish to cease the broadband. The combination of 1 year LRS and 18 month broadband contracts are unhelpful but the way Plusnet work.

If you publish your router stats people can advise about the quality of your connection. The only way you can escape FOC is if you can establish that the line quality and download speeds are much less than could be expected.

Michael Chare
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Oct-19 22:22:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by M100:
Are plusnet in any way obligated through the terms of their telecommunications licence to provide a landline only?

There's not really a "licence"... but no, they are not obligated to do so.

BT have the USO to provide a phone line and would be your best bet (of the two), although there are other providers who offer phone line only too.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
uno Speedtest

Edited by uno (Thu 10-Oct-19 22:22:50)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User longedge
(experienced) Fri 11-Oct-19 10:24:50
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
The combination of 1 year LRS and 18 month broadband contracts are unhelpful but the way Plusnet work.

That's their preference but, for a couple of years now, I've insisted on 12 month contracts the dates of which coincide with my LRS.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 11-Oct-19 11:05:10
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by longedge:
In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
The combination of 1 year LRS and 18 month broadband contracts are unhelpful but the way Plusnet work.

That's their preference but, for a couple of years now, I've insisted on 12 month contracts the dates of which coincide with my LRS.
Thag is interesting. Was the monthly cost of the broadband the same as for 18 month contract?

Michael Chare
Standard User longedge
(experienced) Fri 11-Oct-19 16:24:00
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

I only just renewed for the next 12 mths at my previous price. TBH I don't know how it compares but my focus was keeping both running side by side.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Oct-19 16:27:41
Print Post

If you want just line rental and don't make a lot of outgoing calls look at https://pulse8broadband.co.uk/line-packages The absence of call setup fee (Plusnet charge 22p), cheap call fees (1p per minute peak time) and billing to the nearest second means that for moderate usage they are way cheaper than the packages from the likes of BT or Plusnet.

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016) Why I left Plusnet
Telephone rental: Pulse8
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 11-Oct-19 16:43:21
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Last year Ofcom forced BT to reduce their line rental without broadband price significantly:

https://btplc.com/inclusion/NewsAndEvents/News/lineo...

Initially set at £11.99, not sure if it's changed since. Obviously call prices and packages are a consideration too, as you say.

Oliver.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Oct-19 17:26:31
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Looking on BT's website I think the £11.99 means no packages available and full charges for all calls (23p call setup fee plus 15p per minute or part thereof). Not many calls needed to make Pulse8 cheaper!

Their packages (starting with free weekend calls) are on top of £19.99 line rental.

I'd suggest BT is only worth considering if you make very, very few outgoing calls or so many calls that it's worth paying the £29.98 for unlimited anytime calls.

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016) Why I left Plusnet
Telephone rental: Pulse8
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 11-Oct-19 17:34:31
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

One could combine BT's £11.99 line rental with an indirect call provider such as 18185.co.uk to avoid BT's extortionate call rates.

Also, I'm not aware of any ban on line-only customers taking an anytime call package.

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Fri 11-Oct-19 17:46:40)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to