User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mtrueman
(newbie) Wed 08-Apr-20 15:35:05
Print Post

Tricky REIN issue, how to approach it?

[link to this post]

Hi

I have now had a month of really quite unreliable internet connectivity with dropouts for hours on end to the exchange coupled with very bad phone line quality at the same time. 2 Openreach engineers have been out and neither have found line faults. I'm starting to think it's REIN interference.

This all seems to have started when Anglia Water installed what I believe to be a sewerage pump directly outside my property, right next to the telegraph pole that serves my house.

I guess my question is, "is this pump a likely cause of REIN? and if so, how the bejeezus do I get it sorted". I've exhausted pretty much every internal device/pump from being the cause of my problems if it is due to some kind of interference.

Timings of outages seem to be primarily from lunchtime onwards up until early evening. Overnight is usually problem-free. Not sure if this timing fits in the with the operational schedule of one of these pumps but it does seem likely that it waits for higher sewerage levels during the day before kicking in.

I have read that it's possible to check with a medium wave radio, but i dont have one to hand.

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Mark
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Wed 08-Apr-20 16:36:02
Print Post

Re: Tricky REIN issue, how to approach it?

[re: mtrueman] [link to this post]

When you've reported the fault have you reported a broadband fault or a phone fault? If there's interference on the phone line (dial 17070 option 2 to test) you should report a phone line fault. When testing, using a wired handset is preferable and getting a recording of the interference would be good. Does the person at the other end hear the noise? If so, when you report the fault, make sure they put on the notes that they can hear the fault.

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016) Why I left Plusnet
Telephone rental: Pulse8
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 08-Apr-20 16:38:14
Print Post

If no other phone lines near you, then its turn off your ADSL modem and wander around (if not breaking any lockdown rules) with an AM radio to determine if the RF noise when tuned off a station is high when stood close to the pump, moving around should make it clear of noise location. Your ADSL needs to be off when doing this otherwise you will just hear that.

In theory Openreach will have the kit, but given the work priorities in place at this time unlikely to attend unless internet access in your home is part of a key workers need e.g. are a GP doing remote consulting.

This Sony AM radio is on Amazon (needs 2 AA batteries) and should help with finding any obvious RF sources.

No idea on pump schedules or if triggered by sensors

If a link can be found between on times for pump and broadband broke its responsibility of Anglia water to mitigate problem. Even without a radio a written log of modem downtime and observations that pump is running should be enough to get them out and check - though if broadband does continue to run when pump is running that suggests the two might not be linked.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Apr-20 18:13:26
Print Post

If there’s audible noise on the voice service, as you say, then having this fixed is the first thing to get sorted.

Does your modem show line stats ? If so, you should see a big burst of errors prior to sync drop.

I have seen a water pumping station cause REIN before, as a sensor registered a certain build up of water, the pump would start, and bingo, off went the local ADSL lines, the pumping station was adjacent to the cabinet.

Is this ADSL or VDSL ?

Standard User mtrueman
(newbie) Wed 08-Apr-20 19:11:30
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replys

So i've uploaded a couple of images of what i think is the problematic thing here

https://imgur.com/a/v28KKVQ

@jelv
My phone and broadband are both with plusnet and the guy on my first call did hear the noise on the line as i was speaking to him as the issue was occuring but did not report it on the ticket on their system. I've reported both phone and adsl issues to them as both phone and adsl tech support goes to the same department.

@MrSaffron
Thanks for the detailed response. I think i will invest in a radio just to help prove that this is an interference issue. I'm going to need the radio as you cannot hear the pump running from standing near to the box. I think the pump itself is under the road and the electrics are in the green box.

@Zarjaz
Im on VDSL.

It is only myself and my elderly neighbour who are directly connected to this telegraph pole. Dont think she has internet and probably doesnt use her phone enough to hear interference.
Standard User partial
(experienced) Wed 08-Apr-20 19:26:53
Print Post

I think that pillar is measuring tide / flood alarm rather than pumping anything. I have put telemetry circuits in that kind of thing before.

The key question is zarjaz's. What kind of poor telephone line? crackly, buzzing?

The pole in the picture is electricity, does it also have telephone on it? is not clear from the photo.

Maybe they have damaged an underground cable when they dug it in?

Standard User mtrueman
(newbie) Wed 08-Apr-20 19:33:59
Print Post

Just found a clock radio that has MW on it and I have confirmed that I can hear the signal on the modem when it is working. When it next has sync issues i'll try running outside and listening to see if there is anything coming from the pump thing.
Standard User mtrueman
(newbie) Wed 08-Apr-20 19:38:53
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

when they shut the road to do these things, they said "Sewerage works". I've also been told by someone in the village that they are pumps. I might call the water people and confirm that though.

The line is crackling, not buzzing.

And yes, the pole also has telephone line on it.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Apr-20 20:10:01
Print Post

‘The line is crackling’

Get that fixed.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Apr-20 20:16:21
Print Post

You have to be careful, lots of things produce a noise audible on a MW radio, TV hat doesn’t always mean they are service affecting . For instance the electricity supply on the pole can produce noise that can be heard on the radio.

You have a noisy line, get that fault fixed.

Since it’s VDSL, it would have to be a stonking great source to lose you sync ‘for hours at a time’

Faulty DSLAM port maybe ?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to