User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Fri 13-Nov-20 18:43:06
Print Post

Re: How long for activation?!

[re: sjr] [link to this post]

You might need to box a bit clever. I'm guessing that your father would be most dis-chuffed if he has lost what may be his long standing phone number so I wouldn't go in too hard in the first instance in case you need some help in trying to hold on to his number.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Fri 13-Nov-20 18:49:44
Print Post

Even if he is successfully connected keep an eye on BT retail's billing - I've known of a further one month of line rental being charged despite the two week notice period for line rental migration and it can be a hassle to get it refunded.
Standard User Realalemadrid
(committed) Fri 13-Nov-20 19:13:20
Print Post

@sjr Did the letter saying that the line is being taken over really ask for confirmation by calling BT? This is where the problem occurred, calling BT was the worst possible thing to do as they have now put a cease on the line delaying everything.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User sjr
(knowledge is power) Fri 13-Nov-20 20:17:34
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

JL have confirmed he will keep the number so that's good
Standard User sjr
(knowledge is power) Fri 13-Nov-20 20:20:33
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

I haven't seen the letter (he's in Glasgow and I'm in Kent) but that;s the gist of it from what he was saying. BT clearly did put a cease on the line as he was without the phone for 24 hours but it is back working on the same number.
Standard User sjr
(knowledge is power) Fri 13-Nov-20 20:21:56
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

He knows to keep an eye out for any nonsense like that
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Fri 13-Nov-20 20:31:56
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

Do those letters now mention the name of the potentially gaining provider? If not it could certainly be misleading. In the past I seem to remember that BT retail (and others) were not specific regarding this...
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Fri 13-Nov-20 20:36:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by sjr:
He knows to keep an eye out for any nonsense like that

Yes as perhaps a bonny Scotsman I'm sure he would smile
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 13-Nov-20 23:18:16
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Unless things have changed, the losing provider isn't supposed to know which is the gaining provider.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-Nov-20 00:06:05
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Unless things have changed, the losing provider isn't supposed to know which is the gaining provider.

"CHANGE OF TELEPHONE SUPPLIER

You are receiving this correspondence as we have received notification that a request has been made to transfer your telephone service to another communications provider.

Your service is due to transfer on Wednesday, 6th September 2017.

Following on from this if there are any charges outstanding we will send you a final bill which will include any early termination charges, if applicable, for switching providers before your contract with xxx has ended. The final bill will give a breakdown of charges due for payment. Our Credit & Billing Team will contact you regarding payment or alternatively call them on xxx

Your new telephone company will supply your telephone service from the transfer date.

If you have ordered the transfer of this service to another provider and are happy for it to proceed, then no further action is required. We will continue to provide your service until the transfer completes, at which time we will close your account and send you a final bill.

If you have not agreed to this transfer please contact our Customer Service team on xxx.

If you have since decided not to transfer your service away, the transfer can only be cancelled by contacting your new provider."

The above quote is from an email to me from a losing provider back in 2017. I assume the notification of transfer to the losing provider xxx came from OpenReach? There is no mention of the name of the gaining provider and no need to contact the losing provider xxx if one is happy to proceed with the transfer to this unnamed gaining provider. I guess there are now similar notifications in 2020?
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to