User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 29-Apr-21 10:57:58
Print Post

Re: Plusnet FTTP to be launched this summer

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Lots of providers don't use IPv6, I am pretty sure that Zzoomm don't use it, but I will have to check that out.
The time cannot be far off when considerable numbers of websites will only be able to use IPv6.

That's when the ISPs will be in trouble if they cannot provide it to end users. Such as you and I.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
The EU’s multiple failures are due to a deeper malaise .... What malaise? The EU’s formidable immunity to the smallest amount of democracy. New Statesman Feb 2021.
Standard User ft247
(regular) Thu 29-Apr-21 13:42:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The time cannot be far off when considerable numbers of websites will only be able to use IPv6.

I'd say the pressure on IPv4 is going to come from the consumer end first.

ISPs, especially new and growing ones without massive legacy IPv4 allocations are already largely adopting CGNAT with 'proper' IPv4 as a premium option. Those ISPs tend to have no problem with IPv6.

I wonder if a nudge from games consoles will be the thing that causes the mass-market to put pressure on legacy ISPs to sort IPv6. There are plenty of console users who have no interest in networking but know that 'NAT type whatever' as reported by their console is a bad thing, which limits the groups they may join online. If 'NAT type something bad' plus native IPv6 is presented by the console as a good thing and provides more gaming opportunities, millions of people will be asking their ISPs for it.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 29-Apr-21 14:22:52
Print Post

[re: ft247] [link to this post]

That requires the game host to be on IPv6 as well though.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
The EU’s multiple failures are due to a deeper malaise .... What malaise? The EU’s formidable immunity to the smallest amount of democracy. New Statesman Feb 2021.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(legend) Thu 29-Apr-21 21:23:03
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GonePostal:
Who do you suggest should pay for OR seeing sense? Would it be shareholders, existing users or Government (i.e. us, the taxpayers)? OR are a business not a charity and the economics of business mean that they will try and boost their revenues at minimum expense rather than spending lots of money to service comparatively small numbers of users. If you don't like the way FTTP roll-out is going complain to the people setting the parameters for funding (i.e. the Government) rather than companies trying to do their best to stay in business.

They may be a business, but they had the infrastructure at a cheap price and for years did very little with it, the cables we have are years old, and they are patched up when they break, I can understand why people complain about slow broadband because the copper cables that are used to get it from the cabinet to the house is rubbish. I am shocked I can get the speed I have got, considering I was told over 15 years ago that the cables I have going to my house need replacing, and yet they have still not been touched.

Why trample on other companies feet? I know OR are not the only ones that do this, it seems to be a thing, I remember when we first had local independent radio here, the BBc was not even interested before and then all of a sudden they decided to set up a local station as well.

i understand that businesses have to make money, and they have to get the money back from the outlay, so are we just going to leave the people out in the sticks with naff internet?
We had a company here that used churches to mount masts and use wireless for a broadband service, sadly it did not work out so well as they could not cope with the traffic, I know because I used the service for two years, but at least they had a go.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Grimers
(regular) Fri 30-Apr-21 11:01:35
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Is that because he has g.fast? Or, am I thinking of the wrong person?! tongue
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(committed) Fri 30-Apr-21 13:10:19
Print Post

Openreach have FTTP out to 20% of the UK give or take and have a variety of projects in progress delivering FTTP to people 'in the sticks'.

For someone claiming to not be bothered by having FTTP available you're really pretty bitter about not being prioritised.

They can only do so much at once. Much as we'd all love to blink and miraculously have Openreach and 5 altnets offering gigabit for free that's not feasible.

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User zyborg47
(legend) Fri 30-Apr-21 17:16:48
Print Post

[re: CarlTSpeak] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by CarlTSpeak:
Openreach have FTTP out to 20% of the UK give or take and have a variety of projects in progress delivering FTTP to people 'in the sticks'.

For someone claiming to not be bothered by having FTTP available you're really pretty bitter about not being prioritised.

They can only do so much at once. Much as we'd all love to blink and miraculously have Openreach and 5 altnets offering gigabit for free that's not feasible.

It doesn't bother me, I have FTTC and for what I do it suits me, but I do know people who live in the sticks as there is a lot of countryside around here and a fair few people have awful broadband, I know of one household that gets better internet on dial up and until last year did use dial up, but I set them up using 4G, when 3 decided to sort out the mast up there.

I was shocked that this city was on the list for FTTP and I was certainly chocked when Zzoomm decided to set up a network,

I never said for free, I don't expect things for free, but I do think the prices are getting higher, they realise now that people can not make do without the internet.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User ft247
(regular) Fri 30-Apr-21 18:23:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
I never said for free, I don't expect things for free, but I do think the prices are getting higher, they realise now that people can not make do without the internet.

Are prices going up that much? You can get 80/20 Openreach VDSL for around £20 a month, especially if a promotional offer with cashback or a number of months free (or both) is used. I never used VDSL in its early days, can anyone remember what the pricing was like then?
Standard User Grimers
(regular) Fri 30-Apr-21 18:36:54
Print Post

[re: CarlTSpeak] [link to this post]

Yep, a good example is in Cornwall where most properties really far from the cabinet have FTTP.
Standard User Grimers
(regular) Fri 30-Apr-21 18:42:04
Print Post

Jeez, dial-up until last year? Do Openreach even offer dial-up to providers nowadays?!
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to