User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gary333
(experienced) Sat 01-May-21 21:22:29
Print Post

Re: Plusnet FTTP to be launched this summer

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
In reply to a post by gary333:
Nah, they got your number from your energy provider (not just the current one either).
I would never have told any energy supplier the proper landline number. I might tell them the VOIP number. All calls are made using VOIP

Someone has, as that’s how the DNO’s get hold of peoples phone and email addresses. They have no other way (unless of course you’ve made contact with the DNO before).

Edited by gary333 (Sat 01-May-21 21:25:40)

Standard User Michael_Chare
(knowledge is power) Sun 02-May-21 09:58:44
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

Nah, they got your number from your energy provider (not just the current one either).
I would never have told any energy supplier the proper landline number. I might tell them the VOIP number. All calls are made using VOIP

Someone has, as that’s how the DNO’s get hold of peoples phone and email addresses. They have no other way (unless of course you’ve made contact with the DNO before).
The emergency services once knew my (different) address, I thought the DNO might have access to the same information. Maybe I should ask the DNO where they got the information from.

Michael Chare
Standard User gary333
(experienced) Sun 02-May-21 11:02:32
Print Post

... nested quotes trimmed ...

The emergency services once knew my (different) address, I thought the DNO might have access to the same information. Maybe I should ask the DNO where they got the information from.

Even the emergency services don't have a fully joined up database (and they are certainly not sharing this with DNO's for the purpose of sending out service comms). The emergency services (if by this you mean the 999 control room) are able to see where a number is registered to as they do have access to this information via various suppliers. Usually the details they have for individual people (thus knowing where they live) comes from previous calls to 999 (from anyone who might have named you) and from the various databases held by the police.

The police databases are not linked for example to council records, so even then the police can often have no real idea where a person lives and thus can often have addresses you have lived at many many years ago popping up when speaking with the control room (or reporting an incident directly with them).

We don't even have a fully joined up warning system as yet when it comes to war, so although there are many many databases capturing our data, they are not being used in the main to benefit us

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(knowledge is power) Sun 02-May-21 16:20:55
Print Post

... nested quotes trimmed ...

Even the emergency services don't have a fully joined up database (and they are certainly not sharing this with DNO's for the purpose of sending out service comms). The emergency services (if by this you mean the 999 control room) are able to see where a number is registered to as they do have access to this information via various suppliers. Usually the details they have for individual people (thus knowing where they live) comes from previous calls to 999 (from anyone who might have named you) and from the various databases held by the police.

The police databases are not linked for example to council records, so even then the police can often have no real idea where a person lives and thus can often have addresses you have lived at many many years ago popping up when speaking with the control room (or reporting an incident directly with them).

We don't even have a fully joined up warning system as yet when it comes to war, so although there are many many databases capturing our data, they are not being used in the main to benefit us
Thanks for the details in your post. I will ring the DNO after the Bank Holiday and see what they have to say. The previous owner of this property died at least a year before we bought it. I had to get the phone reconnected but it may well have the same number.

Michael Chare
Standard User zyborg47
(legend) Tue 04-May-21 08:27:43
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
Isn't that called inflation?

Well yes, but there still need to be some control, saying that the government have cut loose the controls on energy companies now, so they can charge what they like.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Tue 04-May-21 09:55:47
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Well yes, but there still need to be some control, saying that the government have cut loose the controls on energy companies now, so they can charge what they like.

Not sure that is factually correct. For example the Ofgem website is still saying:

"The energy price cap makes sure you pay a fairer price for your energy. It limits how much suppliers can charge you per unit of energy. It is based on the costs that Ofgem – Great Britain’s energy regulator – calculates suppliers need to spend to get energy to your home."

and:

"It doesn't matter which supplier you are with - your supplier must apply the cap. You're price protected if you are on a 'Standard variable' energy tariff or a tariff you haven't chosen (a 'default' tariff)."

Edited by GonePostal (Tue 04-May-21 09:56:40)

Standard User broadbandjockey
(committed) Tue 04-May-21 13:48:32
Print Post

I wonder if they will let you cancel the phone service completely and just have broadband.

I would hope Ofcom will mandate that you will be free to do that regardless of ISP, and regardless of whether or not you're in contract as 2025 approaches, and also free to port out your landline number to a VoIP supplier
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-May-21 21:07:49
Print Post

Well I spoke to the DNO. They told me that they did not have a phone number for my address so I advised them of my VOIP and mobile numbers. When I told them my landline number they said that had this for a different address! They did say that they exchanged this data with electricity suppliers.

So when the PSTN is switched off their will be no need for me to use an ISP router with a phone port. I have no use for the landline phone number. As the number is not one that I have told others about there is no need to port it to a VOIP provider which would tell me he connections details for use in my own equipment.

Michael Chare
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Tue 04-May-21 21:43:49
Print Post

I wonder if you will have to use a Plusnet router with telephone ports for what I would expect to be their VOIP service or whether they will let customers know their VOIP connection parameters so that they can use their own equipment.

Good point.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to