User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Tue 04-May-21 16:17:37
Print Post

Fibre connection keeps dropping since last week

[link to this post]

My Unlimited Fibre Extra broadband keeps losing connection with the router reporting "Modem hangup" at regular intervals and losing the connection for several seconds before reconnecting. This makes working from home very difficult as every time the connection is lost I lose IP phone connectivity and I have to re-login to my remote desktop, a lengthy process.

I contacted PN support on 30th April who told my they'd change a setting which would fix the problem, but it hasn't worked as I keep getting the disconnections and a speed test shows that my download speed is around 50% of what it was (69Mbps) before the issue first occurred and upload speed is 30% of what it was previously (19Mbps). I've replaced the fibre modem and tried another router but to no avail.

I have a support ticket open on this issue, I've a feeling there's a fault in the line somewhere that's causing automatic adjustment of the maximum line speeds, or PlusNet support have enabled a setting that's throttling performance in the interest of stability.

After some research and advice, I understand that Modem Hang Up generally means the other end stopped the PPPoE connection,

Has anyone else had similar issues?
Standard User Grimers
(member) Tue 04-May-21 21:19:34
Print Post

Re: Fibre connection keeps dropping since last week

[re: joconnell] [link to this post]

If your upstream speed has dropped significantly, that normally points to a phyiscal line problem. Do you have a landline phone? If so, check to see if you have any line noise.
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Wed 05-May-21 00:14:00
Print Post

[re: Grimers] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Grimers:
If your upstream speed has dropped significantly, that normally points to a phyiscal line problem. Do you have a landline phone? If so, check to see if you have any line noise.
There doesn't seem to be any noise when listening to the dial tone on my BT cordless phone, the sound is a bit buzzy but I think that's due to the quality of the internal speaker. From another (different make) cordless phone paired with the DECT base station the line obviously has no noise.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Grimers
(member) Wed 05-May-21 08:49:31
Print Post

Ok, fair enough. It could be that the broadband section of the pair has become faulty but the landline hasn't, that is rare though. Hmm, are you able to post stats from your router?
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Wed 05-May-21 11:21:21
Print Post

I've done another quiet line test dialling 17070 with a bog-standard BT Duet corded phone and I can hear a very small amount of background noise, not very audible but constant with no other noise/spikes. I get the same whether plugging the phone into the master socket outlet or the phone extension (which is what's used for the home phone). I'm pretty sure what I'm hearing is normal rather than noise, it's hard to tell without hearing a sample of what constitutes noise on the line.

What stats do you mean? From the modem's web gui:
Status from the DSL modem:
Profile State UP Speed Down Speed SNR Upstream SNR Downstream
17A SHOWTIME 8491 (Kbps) 44000 (Kbps) 11 (dB) 11 (dB)

Earlier during the week the SNR was 1, then 2, now it's 11 as above.

Speedtest.net reports around 40Mb/s down, 6Mb/s up with a 26ms ping
Prior to this issue I was getting 68Mb/s and 18Mb/s with 12ms ping

Edited by joconnell (Wed 05-May-21 11:29:26)

Standard User broadbandjockey
(committed) Wed 05-May-21 14:48:35
Print Post

Physically walk round and look at your cabinet ? I had a similar sudden drop in up and down speed a few years ago, and it turned out to be Openreach were adding in a second cabinet, and were having to double loop everyone's line as a temporary measure, in preparation for adding in the expansion cabinet.

I had reported the speed drop to Plusnet, they reported it to BT OR as a service fault , and their area engineering supervisor phoned me the next day to explain. Said it would last for a couple of weeks. I walked round to the cabinet (which was 1km away, so I didn't normally pass it)
There was no end of stuff going on. Sure enough two weeks later, work completed, all back to normal
Standard User Grimers
(member) Wed 05-May-21 16:57:45
Print Post

Hmm, if the SNR is moving around that much, then there is something wrong. It appears your downstream rate has been banded at 44 Mb and both your upstream and downstream SNRMs are very high at 11 dB.
Standard User Grimers
(member) Wed 05-May-21 16:59:26
Print Post

[re: broadbandjockey] [link to this post]

That sounds odd. That is unlikely to be the case with the OPs issue, as the SNRMs have risen, most likely due to line instability, so more speed would be available if DLM hadn't taken action.
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Thu 06-May-21 20:31:08
Print Post

Sadly I don't know the SNR figures before the issue occurred as my modem was a locked-down BTOR ECI model. I now have the Draytek Vigor 130 which provides all the stats I'd want.

Plusnet's tech support have raised a line fault with BTOR after getting me to remove the faceplate on my master socket and testing the line, so hopefully they'll sort it.
Standard User Grimers
(member) Fri 07-May-21 19:34:26
Print Post

Fingers crossed. If the fault's present in the test socket, then you don't have to worry about being charged etc.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to