Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Apr-21 18:55:21
Print Post

Re: How unsafe is an old computer online?

[re: charlestown] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by charlestown:
it's ironic a Mac could theoretically run Windows with all the latest patches after Apple has already abandoned the same hardware.
Its a shame Apple abandons relatively early. Microsoft supports corporate customers with thousands of desktops in offices around the globe, and they know where their income comes from. Apple's income is from selling new hardware. Despite Apple's green credentials, this expiry of hardware is a black mark against them. My parents have a MacBook Air that is now out of support and cannot run Big Sur, but boot camp runs Win10!

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User charlestown
(regular) Sat 10-Apr-21 19:33:37
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

This Mac Pro is clearly not as fast as the new machines, but it was only overtaken a couple years ago and remains very usable for most tasks even today. Nevertheless Intel stopped with the microcode updates a few years ago and I cannot even enable file encrypt on this computer running Mojave, so there are compromises creeping in everywhere. Just to run it with Mojave I had to install a Metal enabled graphics card and that effectively bought me another year of support.
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Apr-21 19:44:27
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
When you say some routers are more secure than others, what do you mean by that exactly?

For the average home user, the router does not really play any major part in security.
That's an odd statement to make. Most modern routers have built in firewalls and even those rare few that don't will be using NAT for IPv4 which implicitly blocks machines on the LAN from external attack.

Now granted domestic routers don't do very much if anything to protect connections opened up from inside the LAN but to claim that 'the router does not really play any major part in security' seems a very odd thing to suggest. They are the first line of defence and for IPv4 they repel 100% of random attacks without even trying. For IPv6 a bug in the firewall could let random packets onto the LAN but that's fairly unlikely.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Apr-21 20:40:09
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Problem is for most ISP issued routers what they call ‘firewall’ is not documented, and it is unclear if this is anything more than just NAT on IPv4.

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Apr-21 20:51:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by Andrue:
When you say some routers are more secure than others, what do you mean by that exactly?

For the average home user, the router does not really play any major part in security.
That's an odd statement to make. Most modern routers have built in firewalls and even those rare few that don't will be using NAT for IPv4 which implicitly blocks machines on the LAN from external attack.

Now granted domestic routers don't do very much if anything to protect connections opened up from inside the LAN but to claim that 'the router does not really play any major part in security' seems a very odd thing to suggest. They are the first line of defence and for IPv4 they repel 100% of random attacks without even trying. For IPv6 a bug in the firewall could let random packets onto the LAN but that's fairly unlikely.

Probably a wrong choice of words - what I meant is, all these options are already switched on by default on any sort of home router and it's just a given that it'll be enabled. So it's not really an area of concern for a home user. It's different to the days when people had ADSL modems and the like. Now every ISP supply a router and they are all doing NAT. You've got the protection and that's the end of it. All the point and click firewall features you see on colourful home routers are just snake oil.

Andrews & Arnold Home ::1 on Draytek 2862ac - Why settle for inferior?
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Apr-21 20:52:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Problem is for most ISP issued routers what they call ‘firewall’ is not documented, and it is unclear if this is anything more than just NAT on IPv4.
That's all you want it to be (on IPv4). Home routers aren't up to the job of firewalling anyway. All these sort of features just cause more problems than they solve.

Andrews & Arnold Home ::1 on Draytek 2862ac - Why settle for inferior?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Apr-21 21:35:16
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

That's all you want it to be (on IPv4). Home routers aren't up to the job of firewalling anyway. All these sort of features just cause more problems than they solve.
Agreed, you’d just had hundreds of support calls when an outbound port is blocked. Enterprise firewall features are great, where you have a dedicated fw admin !

Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Apr-21 23:16:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by Andrue:
Most modern routers ....[snip]
[/snip].... will be using NAT for IPv4 which implicitly blocks machines on the LAN from external attack.
[pantomime]Oh no, it doesn't![/pantomime]

See my post above which mentions NAT slipstreaming.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Apr-21 23:19:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Enterprise firewall features are great, where you have a dedicated fw admin !
Luckily, I have. Me smile

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Apr-21 23:30:26
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by caffn8me:
Luckily, I have. Me smile
I grew up on the original Nokia / Checkpoint FW platform, when colleagues where fighting rule bases of tens of pages, pre-stateful. Thankfully others do that now smile

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to