User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 20-Feb-20 23:51:54
Print Post

Sky Broadband with Sky Q :- unbundling

[link to this post]

The situation;

There is a site I'm working at which currently has a package with a pre-2019 Sky Q hub (the horizontal one) providing FTTC. This is nowhere near any of the Sky Q boxes.

We're looking at unbundling and moving to a more business oriented ISP, obviously with a different router. We need to keep Sky Q working.

I'm assuming (dangerous, I know) that the primary Sky Q box would then just connect via regular wi-fi, cable etc. back to the new router and we wouldn't need Sky to come back to reinstall things.

Are there any pitfalls I need to be aware of, apart from contract issues?

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 21-Feb-20 09:14:03
Print Post

Re: Sky Broadband with Sky Q :- unbundling

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

I have had Sky Q with a few different ISPs. The Sky Q TV box should work with any Internet connection. There are a few mesh type networking capabilities that are enabled when it is paired with a Sky router but for TV, streaming, netflix, etc it will all work just fine with another ISP (assuming the ISP doesn't block Sky traffic but I am not sure why any would).

Reconfiguring the Sky box for new wifi is simple enough - and something that many people will have done as they change routers, IP, wifi password, etc.
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 24-Feb-20 07:05:00
Print Post

Re: Sky Broadband with Sky Q :- unbundling

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Thank you very much for that. I'll press ahead with the migration smile

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to