User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User chempsall
(newbie) Wed 01-Apr-20 18:01:59
Print Post

Terrible speed and refusal to acknowledge the problem

[link to this post]

Hi,

I've had Sky broadband for about two years now. It's never been very good but that isn't Sky's fault; the infrastructure where I live (London, SE16) is hopelessly out-of-date and so far Openreach have not shown any interest in doing anything about it.

Like many of you probably I'm currently trying to work from home. After the first couple of days, the internet stopped working. After discussing this with Sky they said there was a problem with the router and sent me a replacement. (I did actually try an old router I have which also didn't work but Sky said that their broadband would only work with their router)

Since the new router arrived I have been plagued with very low speeds. I've reported this to Sky repeatedly and they had an engineer attend the house last week who replaced the wall socket. This made no difference.

I've been checking the speed (using the speed checkers from Ookla, Ofcom, and Which) and today, for example, have measured speeds of between 0.12 Mbps to 2.95 Mbps (average over 16 measurements of 1.32 Mbps). Sky gave me a minimum guaranteed speed of 3.8 Mbps

Crucially, these measurements have been taken with my computer physically connected to the router with a LAN cable (actually, I've used two cables to check one of them wasn't faulty)

Sky continues to insist the line is fine and everything is working. It obviously is not but they simply won't listen to me.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 01-Apr-20 18:07:28
Print Post

Re: Terrible speed and refusal to acknowledge the problem

[re: chempsall] [link to this post]

Can you log in to the sky router and get the connection stats (connection speed, SNR, attenuation, errors if it gives them, etc)? I don't know what stats the sky router offers.

Checking this would confirm what speed you are actually connected at and checking it regularly would tell us if your line is constantly changing or if it is the actual throughput that is getting limited somewhere else.
Standard User chempsall
(newbie) Wed 01-Apr-20 18:14:59
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Hi,

Yes, I think so as these are the statistics that Sky are relying on to state that everything is working fine. I've copied what I think they are below:

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collision Pkts Tx b/s Rx b/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 3424072 5906164 0 0 0 09:31:40
LAN Up 127980 114003 0 0 0 09:33:34
WLAN (2.4 GHz) Up 5601140 2896477 0 1 2 09:32:20
WLAN (5 GHz) Up 722807 642235 0 2 0 09:32:15

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed (Kbps) 5704 797
Line Attenuation (dB) 58.5 36.6
Noise Margin (dB) 6.1 6.6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 01-Apr-20 20:05:40
Print Post

Post a link to the results of the speed test at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest

The two download tests will give an idea of what is happening.

The suggestion so far is the line itself is fine, but the exchange may be congested on the links Sky are using.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User buggerlugs
(regular) Wed 01-Apr-20 20:17:09
Print Post

I'd consider using 4g if you're only getting that speed. Try using your mobile data and do a speed test on here at home. Trying different SIM's in your mobile and doing speed tests for different mobile operators will give you a good idea who has the most updated mast infrastructure.

In London I'd expect most mast infrastructure is updated more regularly than out in the country and you may be able to even get 5g.
Standard User chempsall
(newbie) Wed 01-Apr-20 21:02:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks,

Results are here: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15857706918... and https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15857710455...

I ran a few to see if they would differ which they did. In one instance the connection dropped completely (which it does 5 or 6 times a day) which generated an error and in another, the average download speed was 2.87 Mbps.

This seems to track with what I've observed recently where the speed seems to increase slightly in the evenings.

Thanks for your assistance.

Chris
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 01-Apr-20 21:08:57
Print Post

Not looking good, high latency and gaps suggests lots of congestion

If it is that then you should find things are between between midnight and 7am i.e. once most are awake and before work from home people get in.

This will also help to show that it is not a line issue.

As someone else suggested 4G via mobile hot spot on your phone or a 4G router may be a better option to tide you over until more capacity can be added.

Presume no other fixed line broadband options for you.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User chempsall
(newbie) Wed 01-Apr-20 21:17:20
Print Post

[re: buggerlugs] [link to this post]

I've measured the 4G with my phone (on Vodafone network) and the Ookla app. It's nothing to boast about but it's better than the Sky connection (although two empty cans and a piece of string would be better than that at the moment)

I moved around the house a bit and measured in a few different locations. Speeds ranged from 3.42 Mbps to 8.67 Mbps.

Unfortunately, 5G hasn't reached here yet.

I'm tempted to buy a 4G router although am nervous about having to pay for broadband twice. I ought to be able to get out of my Sky contract because they have repeatedly failed to give me the guaranteed minimum speed, but who knows if Sky will see it like that?

If I did decide to purchase one do you know how I would figure out which network would be likely to give me the highest speeds in the area and do you have any recommendation for the 4G router itself?

Thanks a lot,

Chris
Standard User chempsall
(newbie) Wed 01-Apr-20 21:42:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to have a look at this. I suppose I sort of "knew" there was a problem but it's still very helpful to get that confirmed by somebody who understands this.

Unfortunately, I don't think there are any other fixed line options because as I understand it they all share the same infrastructure. Everybody I know around here complains about it even in normal times and they aren't all with the same provider.

I'm tempted by a 4G router because the current speeds are driving me insane! I'm nervous about ending up paying for two broadband providers if Sky won't let me cancel although since they are unable to provide their minimum speed guarantee perhaps this won't be too difficult.

Do you know how to figure out who would have the higest speed 4G around here (SE16) and do you have a recommendation for a 4G router.

Thanks once again.

Chris
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 01-Apr-20 22:09:52
Print Post

While they all share the same bit of copper, what happens at the local exchange and beyond varies i.e. only sky use the Sky LLU network from exchange to Internet

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to