User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Grommit182218
(newbie) Sun 07-Jun-20 12:42:57
Print Post

Broadband Contract Issues.

[link to this post]

My initial contract was for a fixed 12 month period, for Broadband & Line Rental at approximately £23.00 P.C.M.

When that ended in November 2019, SKY renewed the contract and changed it to a "Rolling" contract, with new increased charge rates for Broadband & Line Rental by almost 50%, to approximately £43.00 P.C.M.

I have been out of the UK since December 2019, with limited Internet access until May 2020, and have only become aware of this situation on my return.

I did not receive any reminder of the initial contract end date or any communication notifying me of the change to the contract type (i.e.Fixed Term to Rolling) or the new increased rates - is this legal?

Any suggestions about my possible redress or action to resolve this issue?

I have contacted SKY but they stated that it was illegal to send out remainder communications related to contract end dates, that my initial contract included various 'Discounts' that had now ended, and all contracts were now "Rolling" contracts.

They agreed to amend the monthly charge rate from the current £43.00 P.C.M, to a new rate of £22.00 P.C.M., but would not offer to reimburse any of the increased amounts charged under the new "Rolling" contract. which had been imposed without any communication to me, or agreement on my part to accept.

Is it legal for them to fail to advise a customer of the impending end date to their existing Fixed Term Contract, to then change it to a "Rolling" contract, with new charge rates including increases of approximately 50%, without notifying the customer of these new terms & conditions?.

Amy suggestions on what further actions I could consider (apart from the obvious of cancelling the current contract and I have already commenced a Complaint case with the 'Resolver' website), would be gratefully appreciated.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 07-Jun-20 13:12:09
Print Post

Re: Broadband Contract Issues.

[re: Grommit182218] [link to this post]

Yes it has been standard practice for years with any ISP.

This charged on 15th February 2020 and providers now have to write to tell you your contract is ending and price is going up.

Sky won't give any redress I'm afraid.
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 07-Jun-20 21:28:29
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
Yes it has been standard practice for years with any ISP.

This charged on 15th February 2020 and providers now have to write to tell you your contract is ending and price is going up.

Sky won't give any redress I'm afraid.
The OP seems to have done reasonably well out of them anyway although it's not clear if the new monthly charge is a rolling contract or another 12 months.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Sun 07-Jun-20 21:29:42)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 07-Jun-20 22:19:24
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
not clear if the new monthly charge is a rolling contract or another 12 months.
I would put money on it being a new contract of at least 12 months.
Standard User Malwaremike
(experienced) Mon 08-Jun-20 10:46:26
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

'Rolling' contract is just that -- it rolls over month by month and you can leave at any time. ISPs love them, like automatic insurance renewal they can charge whatever they like and hope customers don't notice. Don't think ISP can sign you to another 12-month contract unless you agree.

Maybe you could get a better deal if you call them up (good luck with that!) or just move to another ISP who will handle the changeover process.
Standard User longedge
(experienced) Mon 08-Jun-20 11:54:40
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

In the OP, "They agreed to amend the monthly charge rate from the current £43.00 P.C.M, to a new rate of £22.00 P.C.M." must surely mean the start of a new contract.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
... known to some as George
plusnet FTTC
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 08-Jun-20 12:07:44
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by longedge:
In the OP, "They agreed to amend the monthly charge rate from the current £43.00 P.C.M, to a new rate of £22.00 P.C.M." must surely mean the start of a new contract.
I second that (for the same reason) as seen in my post below
In reply to a post by dect:
I would put money on it being a new contract of at least 12 months.
Edit: Have known Sky to agree to reduce the price and the customer only finding out its a new contract when the letter drops on the mat

Edited by dect (Mon 08-Jun-20 12:13:55)

Standard User Malwaremike
(experienced) Mon 08-Jun-20 12:42:28
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

Ah yes, should have picked that up. Agree that this must be a new contract but at £22 it seems a good deal as well.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Jun-20 12:25:35
Print Post

[re: Grommit182218] [link to this post]

It is legal because when you signed up originally you signed up to a minimum term with a cut price deal and the contract would have stated that at the end of the deal you would revert to the standard rate prevailing at the time. This is not just limited to the broadband market - any number of subscription services operate on exactly this type of offer.
  Print Thread

Jump to