User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User aks
(committed) Thu 09-Jul-20 20:10:10
Print Post

Sky briadband speed

[link to this post]

I have Sky FTTC Broadband, it has mostly been fine. Of late, like the recent 2-3 weeks, I have had poor throughput - obviously it could almost be anything. So I checked the sync speed, and sure enough it was 80/20 (actually 79999/20000). Looking good then, however, I am getting periodic issues with things like Skype calls (reports 'your connection' is poor), streaming sometimes buffers, so perhaps someone with more knowledge can throw some light here and educate me?

I re-did a speedtest tonight, also looking good:

My Broadband Speed Test

So, is this likely some kind of congestion with everyone WFH?

---
Tony
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 09-Jul-20 20:14:48
Print Post

Re: Sky briadband speed

[re: aks] [link to this post]

Based on the speed test result no evidence of congestion there, but that does not mean that every website and service on the internet will be without problems.

In short Internet comprises many different links, the majority of which are outside of the ISP contract.

If you are streaming over wifi to devices it might just be a local wifi congestion issue

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User aks
(committed) Thu 09-Jul-20 20:32:19
Print Post

Re: Sky briadband speed

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Very true, I'll keep monitoring. It could indeed be a Skype for Business issue since I'm sure they've had increased traffic smile.

And there may be 'new' wireless interference I suppose, although I have plenty of space (detached house) and have not generally had big wireless issues in the past. Come to think of it, my neighbour had a Virgin van outside a week or so ago, maybe they just switched over and I have a new conflict. I'll investigate.

Thanks

---
Tony

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to