User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User risk_reversal
(experienced) Tue 01-Dec-20 00:26:01
Print Post

Replacing ER110

[link to this post]

Wonder if someone can please shed some light on this as I have no experience with Sky broadband.

My daughter is sharing a flat. They have a Sky ER110. I have logged into the unit and it would appears that they have ADSL2+ (not fibre) as the router is synched at 13,000 / 800.

This unit seems very poor and I wanted to replace it with a third party router.

I understand that the TP Link W9970 will work from having read some comments.

1. Could someone confirm that the W9970 works with Sky.

2. I would also need to configure the W9970 which would require the ADSL username and password. Can one call Sky to get these details? Have tried googling this and can't find any answer apart from some talk of DHCP option 61. Which I don't understand.

Sorry to ask such basic questions but have always bought and configured my own router and have no experience whatsoever with the likes of Sky, Virgin, etc

Many thanks for any info provided
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 01-Dec-20 09:48:17
Print Post

Re: Replacing ER110

[re: risk_reversal] [link to this post]

Unit is poor - in what way?

The TP Link W9970 is just 802.11n in terms of wireless so positively archaic in terms of wireless connectivity, but has a solid DSL chipset

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gary333
(experienced) Tue 01-Dec-20 10:52:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Unit is poor - in what way?

The TP Link W9970 is just 802.11n in terms of wireless so positively archaic in terms of wireless connectivity, but has a solid DSL chipset

I'd ask the same question too as I thought the Now Broadband router (which i believe is the same as this) was fine from a signal point of view (4 bedroom detached with resilient bars in ceiling).

The only gripe I had with it was that every so often phones connected to it would not react (even though showing full signal) and the wifi of the phones had to be turned off then back on. Also, 2 LAN ports it's a bit stingy.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Dec-20 13:48:13
Print Post

What are you trying to improve? If it’s WiFi signal sky can supply a booster usually (but there may be a cost) they can also be had on eBay just lookup sky q booster. The router itself is not bad it’s one of the latest wireless standards, much better than the router you linked which is wireless N, it’s AC1600 I believe.

This device would have the same WiFi standard:
ROUTEUR TP-LINK AC1600 VDSL2 MODEM ROUTER V2.0 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01K7BO3KE/ref=cm_sw_r_c...

The one you linked is much worse wireless standard, by a long shot. It doesn’t even support the 5Ghz band.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Tue 01-Dec-20 13:49:07)

(experienced) Tue 01-Dec-20 14:22:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
What are you trying to improve? If it’s WiFi signal sky can supply a booster usually (but there may be a cost) they can also be had on eBay just lookup sky q booster. The router itself is not bad it’s one of the latest wireless standards, much better than the router you linked which is wireless N, it’s AC1600 I believe.

The one you linked is much worse wireless standard, by a long shot. It doesn’t even support the 5Ghz band.

Yes, I know that the W9970 has poor / old wifi. I was only going to use it because, as MrSaffron said, it as a solid DSL modem. I would use a separate WAP.

I use the W9970 + separate Netgear wap at my home and it's a great combo on my lowly 40/10 fibre broadband.

I think that ER110 has too many clients attached to it and from my reading it appears that it just can't handle it and I believe this is causing problems.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Dec-20 22:20:22
Print Post

What issues are you actually seeing?

The ER110 is used by many households with 4+ sky boxes and 3 of them are broadcasting live TV in HD / 4K streams completely over WiFi.

Plenty of users with 30+ devices on this router without any issues, as evidenced by people who have upgraded to sky’s latest router and now have issues (as this latest device does genuinely have a problem with too many devices connected). On the forums we are seeing users with entire smart homes who had no issues on the ER110 and ER115.

It’s not a poor piece of kit in general so we would need more detail on the nature of the problems faced. It could easily be down to the limited upload of ADSL and the sheer number of users sending requests out is saturating the uplink, which in turn delays the down link. You have to get a request out, for data to come back.

A single FaceTime would saturate the upload a fair amount and would result in poor download.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Tue 01-Dec-20 22:21:21)

(experienced) Wed 02-Dec-20 10:28:13
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

What issues are you actually seeing?

Well for starters, when I tried to connect my laptop via ethernet cable to the ER110, it took ages get an IP address assigned.

It could easily be down to the limited upload of ADSL and the sheer number of users sending requests out is saturating the uplink, which in turn delays the down link. You have to get a request out, for data to come back.

A single FaceTime would saturate the upload a fair amount and would result in poor download.

I wholly agree that the adsl connection with poor upload speed (1Mbps) is going to cause issues, hence why I asked my daughter to get a fibre upgrade asap as there are three people sharing that house.

That property also has Sky TV. They have a ES130 box. I have been trying to understand a little bit about it and from my reading it can apparently share TV over wifi, albeit that from my understanding that would require Sky Q mini boxes to receive a the TV signal. Is that correct?

Many thanks for your kind help
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Dec-20 10:43:55
Print Post

So the sky Q box is also acting as a WiFi extender in this case.

You should not install your own equipment as it will break the sky Q mesh and render the sky box only able to use 2.4GHz (not a good idea), it will also mean the wireless booster stops functioning in the box, to replace this you would need an equally rated AC booster. Without it, there’s possibility the signal would be weaker in parts of the house which may result in complaints.

IP addresses do take a little longer to allocate than some other routers, but usually only the first time a device connects.

To put things into perspective, I have an ER115 I’m using currently with 33 devices connected and sky boxes doing channel transmission wirelessly for multi room. I run a time capsule connected to a WiFi adapter and it gets over 300Mbps transmission on wireless despite my connected devices. I also have another isp router directly next to the sky hub and it’s on the same wireless channels, so this is with interference. Left them on AUTO and of course they both choose 36 smile

Edited by ukhardy07 (Wed 02-Dec-20 10:44:50)

(experienced) Thu 03-Dec-20 10:33:42
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

The set up that I have seen is, ES130 (Big box) adjacent and connected to the TV in the living room and ER110 (same room, different location) which is the router (has the telephone cable in it connected to the telephone socket).

So you are saying that the ES130 is an extender / mesh to the ER110's wifi? Correct?

Apologies but Sky, much like Apple computers are totally alien technologies to me

Edited by risk_reversal (Thu 03-Dec-20 10:35:07)

Standard User severedsolo
(newbie) Thu 03-Dec-20 11:45:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by risk_reversal:

The set up that I have seen is, ES130 (Big box) adjacent and connected to the TV in the living room and ER110 (same room, different location) which is the router (has the telephone cable in it connected to the telephone socket).

So you are saying that the ES130 is an extender / mesh to the ER110's wifi? Correct?

Apologies but Sky, much like Apple computers are totally alien technologies to me

Yes, the Sky Q boxes (and any mini boxes used for multi-room if applicable) act as extenders to the 5Ghz network/mesh. One of the things that Sky are supposed to do when they install Q is to check that every box can reach the mesh and install boosters if needed. Sky also sell boosters that are compatible with the mesh network I believe.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to