User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-Dec-20 11:17:02
Print Post

Re: Replacing ER110

[re: danielhyde] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by danielhyde:
In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Sky Q TV main box does not support 5GHz on devices which are not part of the Sky Q hardware. For instance if I am on BT I can only connect to the 2.4GHz network if using WiFi on the main tv box.

The mesh network (network between the extra boxes) will still use 5GHz over its own wireless network. The main box, will only communicate to the main router over 2.4GHz when sky q routers are not used. All other boxes will still be 5GHz over a link from main tv box to sky q minis. So it would go non sky Q router - main box (2.4GHz only) - mini boxes over 5GHz (using the mesh setup on the main Q TV box).

For that initial link to also be 5GHz it must be setup over WPS on sky hardware.

This is commonly documented, and I have in fact used my own hardware. If this is incorrect I would need to see how you managed this. 5GHz between the sky main tv box and Q mesh, is only activated when using WPS setup on the Q router and Q main TV box. Third party routers require you to use the second option when configuring.

Sadly I am unable to replicate this as I no longer have Sky Q as I moved to an area with Virgin Media and it was cheaper and they could install sooner.
My network only ever has a 5GHz SSID visible the 2.4GHz SSID is hidden and only used for smart home devices, also I didn't have Sky broadband either
When the Sky engineer installed it I only provided him with the 5Ghz network and he set it up and did the WPS setup with the Mini boxes.
How long ago was this - things were slightly different in the days Sky had powerline, although it was never recommended an engineer leveraged these (they often did though) which caused a bunch of issues when Sky went onto disable powerline for everyone.

Some users have managed to turn it back on, but not recommended as there's no support for it.

As it stands, as the 5GHz wifi is the only thing the mesh can use now, there's no way to add a third party router to that, as 5GHz is kept "clean" for the mesh comms, and 2.4GHz is "free" for non-mesh products. Back in the day, powerline could be a backup, but again, was never a recommended approach. Controls were less tight back then.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Fri 04-Dec-20 11:19:19)

Standard User danielhyde
(member) Fri 04-Dec-20 12:34:08
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by danielhyde:
Sky Q TV main box does not support 5GHz on devices which are not part of the Sky Q hardware. For instance if I am on BT I can only connect to the 2.4GHz network if using WiFi on the main tv box.

The mesh network (network between the extra boxes) will still use 5GHz over its own wireless network. The main box, will only communicate to the main router over 2.4GHz when sky q routers are not used. All other boxes will still be 5GHz over a link from main tv box to sky q minis. So it would go non sky Q router - main box (2.4GHz only) - mini boxes over 5GHz (using the mesh setup on the main Q TV box).

For that initial link to also be 5GHz it must be setup over WPS on sky hardware.

This is commonly documented, and I have in fact used my own hardware. If this is incorrect I would need to see how you managed this. 5GHz between the sky main tv box and Q mesh, is only activated when using WPS setup on the Q router and Q main TV box. Third party routers require you to use the second option when configuring.

Sadly I am unable to replicate this as I no longer have Sky Q as I moved to an area with Virgin Media and it was cheaper and they could install sooner.
My network only ever has a 5GHz SSID visible the 2.4GHz SSID is hidden and only used for smart home devices, also I didn't have Sky broadband either
When the Sky engineer installed it I only provided him with the 5Ghz network and he set it up and did the WPS setup with the Mini boxes.
How long ago was this - things were slightly different in the days Sky had powerline, although it was never recommended an engineer leveraged these (they often did though) which caused a bunch of issues when Sky went onto disable powerline for everyone.

Some users have managed to turn it back on, but not recommended as there's no support for it.

As it stands, as the 5GHz wifi is the only thing the mesh can use now, there's no way to add a third party router to that, as 5GHz is kept "clean" for the mesh comms, and 2.4GHz is "free" for non-mesh products. Back in the day, powerline could be a backup, but again, was never a recommended approach. Controls were less tight back then.

I had it installed about a year and a half ago and moved a year after it was installed and as sky couldn't install at my new house for a month they let me out of the contract early.
Standard User risk_reversal
(experienced) Fri 04-Dec-20 12:47:37
Print Post

1. The Sky box next to the tell, ES130, receives a tv feed only (yes). It also gets on demand programmes over WiFi e.g. Netlflix, Disney Plus as well as downloadable content (several GB per hour) for channels such as ITV, Channel 4, Sky Cinema, FOX, Sky One, TLC, etc... Basically any catch up.

If one has Sky mini boxes, the tv feed can be received in other rooms over wifi. Yep, all mini boxes are WiFi only even for TV channels

2. The ER110 receives just the broadband. Yep, but it also becomes part of the overall mesh system e.g if you have Mini Boxes, satellite TV could route from ES130 - ER110 - Sky Q Mini Box (it will route however is best wifi signal wise)

3. The ES130 and ER110 together create a mesh system Exactly, and any Q TV boxes, Routers, Sky Q boosters etc

Many thanks for explaining it clearly to me ukhardy07.

danielhyde thank you for your added comments.

Cheers to both smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-Dec-20 13:35:09
Print Post

[re: risk_reversal] [link to this post]

I use ethernet from router to Sky Q box.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User risk_reversal
(experienced) Fri 04-Dec-20 18:23:38
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:

Good to know that also. Cheers
Standard User simon194
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-Dec-20 09:36:24
Print Post

[re: risk_reversal] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by risk_reversal:
In reply to a post by broadband66:

Good to know that also. Cheers

Ethernet is probably the recommended way to connect a Q box to a non-Sky router due to potential speed issues using the 2.4GHz band
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Dec-20 09:59:45
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

Sky Q doesn’t link over 2.4GHz unless you don’t have a Q hub.
Sky’s mesh avoids those challenges.

If 5GHz doesn’t reach you get a booster or 2 as the case may be.
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Dec-20 13:04:01
Print Post

"unless you don’t have a Q hub"

That's what Simon said.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Dec-20 14:34:50
Print Post