User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bloodycat
(member) Thu 27-Aug-20 12:20:28
Print Post

Re: Openreach FTTP

[re: Chippy_Tea_] [link to this post]

Yes Zen are more expensive than the possible offering from TalkTalk, but talktalk can currently only offer FTTC not FTTP and it is the few hundred metres of copper from the cabinet to my house (via telegraph pole) that is the weak link in my connection. Also I believe TalkTalk are still incapable of providing IPv6, which although not currently essential could be useful.

It's not just about cost, reliability, technical competence and customer service all count. I don't want to have to keep renegotiating and getting tied into a new contract every 12/18 months to stop being ripped off.
Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(experienced) Thu 27-Aug-20 13:46:21
Print Post

[re: bloodycat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bloodycat:
It's not just about cost, reliability, technical competence and customer service all count. I don't want to have to keep renegotiating and getting tied into a new contract every 12/18 months to stop being ripped off.

I don't find making one phone call every 18 months to save money or get something extra too much trouble and as you say TT being incapable of providing IPv6 isn't essential, it looks like you have made your mind up i wish you well with your new provider.
Standard User Highland76
(member) Thu 27-Aug-20 13:52:29
Print Post

[re: bloodycat] [link to this post]

Yes Zen are more expensive than the possible offering from TalkTalk, but talktalk can currently only offer FTTC not FTTP and it is the few hundred metres of copper from the cabinet to my house (via telegraph pole) that is the weak link in my connection. Also I believe TalkTalk are still incapable of providing IPv6, which although not currently essential could be useful.

TalkTalk do offer Openreach FTTP now, its been a few weeks since they started selling it. However they have a separate full fibre sales team and its phone orders only at present. They will almost certainly offer it to you if your head-end exchange is TalkTalk FTTC/P enabled (most are):

https://www.talktalk.co.uk/shop/broadband/futurefibr...

Wrt IPv6, 99% of average users have no need for it. I'd guess your average user won't even know what IPv6 is, never mind have the requirement for it.

As for re-negotiating a new contract every 18-24 months, to many that will be no more than a minor inconvenience as long as they're getting a good deal. You pays your money and you takes your choice...

BT Business FTTP 330/50 Mbps -- Netgear RAX200

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User burble
(committed) Thu 27-Aug-20 14:51:57
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Highland76:

TalkTalk do offer Openreach FTTP now, its been a few weeks since they started selling it. However they have a separate full fibre sales team and its phone orders only at present. They will almost certainly offer it to you if your head-end exchange is TalkTalk FTTC/P enabled (most are):

https://www.talktalk.co.uk/shop/broadband/futurefibr...

Wrt IPv6, 99% of average users have no need for it. I'd guess your average user won't even know what IPv6 is, never mind have the requirement for it.

As for re-negotiating a new contract every 18-24 months, to many that will be no more than a minor inconvenience as long as they're getting a good deal. You pays your money and you takes your choice...

Even though I get FTTC from TT they are not able to offer FTTP from my exchange, from my conversations with OCE's, helpline, and CEO's office it appears this is very common and why they are not going full on with offering this, meanwhile AFAIK all other ISP's offering FTTP are happy to take a order from me.
Standard User Highland76
(member) Thu 27-Aug-20 15:06:01
Print Post

[re: burble] [link to this post]

In your case they may not have sufficient backhaul capacity at the exchange to support FTTP services.

BT Business FTTP 330/50 Mbps -- Netgear RAX200

Edited by Highland76 (Thu 27-Aug-20 15:07:23)

Standard User burble
(committed) Thu 27-Aug-20 15:35:19
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

It would seem so, but further developments, this thread prompted me to phone TT again.
TT are still uncertain how porting the landline number to a VIOP provider will work, this seems such a fundamental part of the change, but the operator I spoke to couldn't answer that question, all he knew was they wouldn't have anymore dealings with the landline number.
My question was twofold, firstly could I port the number straight away without a stop being put on the entire service (as would normally be the case), or failing that if waiting until the FTTP service went live and TT dropped the landline number would it still be available to port over, or would it disappear into the ether (which wouldn't surprise me with TT).

Now here's something which very odd, twice before I've been offered FTTP from TT, and both times the offer has been withdrawn citing problems with exchange equipment (or capacity?).
This time I once again phoned the 'future fibre' number, and yes I could have FTTP, but it became obvious the operator hadn't realised I was an existing customer. This is what happened once before, phoned and was mistaken as a new customer and offered FTTP, then the offer was withdrawn.
I'm now told someone will ring me back sometime in the next two to three weeks to try and sort this out!
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to