User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User BlueCanary
(newbie) Mon 15-Feb-21 13:04:38
Print Post

Email addresses when moving away from TalkTalk

[link to this post]

Hi,
My parents are wanting to change to another provider but are concerned about losing the @talktalk email address. Does TalkTalk remove access to and delete mailboxes of ex-customers or are they kept?

Thanks,
BC
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Feb-21 13:22:04
Print Post

Re: Email addresses when moving away from TalkTalk

[re: BlueCanary] [link to this post]

£5 a month to keep the address: https://www.talktalk.co.uk/shop/mailplus

Better to move to Gmail or similar, though.

Oliver.
Standard User Malwaremike
(experienced) Mon 15-Feb-21 14:59:45
Print Post

Every broadband forum carries warnings against relying on ISP email. I learned why the hard way, following which I followed forum advice to buy email from an independent provider. This enables you to change ISP and keep your email addy without break in service or risk of termination.

I use Thunderbird to keep my emails together, like most suppliers it offers options to download emails and address books etc from your outgoing provider before the switch takes place. After six years I'm happy with my email provider Fastmail at about £16.50 per year for its basic service.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BlueCanary
(newbie) Mon 15-Feb-21 15:03:21
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Hey thanks for the reply Oliver.

A slight update - it transpires that they were with Talk Talk for a number of years and have been with Virgin Media for the last 12 months as they were offered a good deal on Internet, phone and TV. They are now wanting to move away from VM as the package is increasing quite a bit after the initial 12 months.

I guess they have been lucky to still have access to the mailbox after almost 12 months away. smile
They said they really want to keep the @TalkTalk email address so I've advised them to switch back to TT.

BC.
Standard User Myth
(committed) Fri 19-Feb-21 10:15:15
Print Post

if they "re up" with Virgin they can likely keep the good deal price in one way or another. TalkTalk is just the same, 18 month contract that goes up after 12, but if you contact them and extend the contract you stop the price increases generally

In theory, theory and practice are identical.....in practice they aren't!
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Feb-21 15:17:39
Print Post

[re: Myth] [link to this post]

TalkTalk's 18 month contracts don't go up after 12, they're a fixed price for the duration.

Oliver.
Standard User BlueCanary
(newbie) Sat 20-Feb-21 00:25:08
Print Post

[re: Myth] [link to this post]

Hi,
Thanks for the advice. The issue for them is that they aren't watching enough of the channels to make it worth their while. Most of what they watch is on Freeview anyway so just need the internet for surfing, email and Netflix. smile
  Print Thread

Jump to