Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jingerman
(learned) Fri 23-Aug-19 15:01:20
Print Post

PowerLine Adapter half speed problem

[link to this post]

I bought 3 Simpler Networks Powerline Adapters due to major interference with wifi.
I have installed 1 at the main router and 2 in other rooms.
At first 12 months or so I was getting full fibre speeds via these devices.
Recently Ive noticed I cannot get more then half of my full speeds, its doesnt budge from 20 on wards.

I reset all adapters, swapped adapters around, changed lan port on router, plugged into other home sockets and it fires back up again to full speed. A few days later I notice it drops back to half speed on all wired devices.

I dont really want to keep unplugging adapter attached to router to get full speeds again.

Funnily enough I get full wifi speeds now, but i'd like to keep the wired option as its the best.

Any help would be helpful.

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 23-Aug-19 17:41:20
Print Post

Re: PowerLine Adapter half speed problem

[re: jingerman] [link to this post]

Reseting of power plug devices periodically was something that seems to happen.

Is there any software supplied to let you see what speed they are talking at across the mains network? It may be some interference is causing an issue and speeds drop but devices only go back to full speed after you turn them off/on

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jingerman
(learned) Fri 23-Aug-19 22:25:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Reseting of power plug devices periodically was something that seems to happen.

Is there any software supplied to let you see what speed they are talking at across the mains network? It may be some interference is causing an issue and speeds drop but devices only go back to full speed after you turn them off/on

No just plug n play

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 25-Aug-19 07:07:29
Print Post

Are all the powerline adaptors directly into wall sockets ... ie not not connected to some multi-way electrical affair ?

I have seen this set up adversely affect throughput.

Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Sun 25-Aug-19 12:19:42
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

We noticed a table light flickering and radio crackling, both OK in another socket. Removed mains socket and found that the incoming (copper) wires had become compressed beneath securing screws and no longer made good contact. Apparently common problem; I found most socket screws in house were also loose after 30+ years so tightened them all. Usual warning re mains voltages, turn off the mains first!
Standard User jingerman
(learned) Sun 25-Aug-19 14:32:15
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Are all the powerline adaptors directly into wall sockets ... ie not not connected to some multi-way electrical affair ?

I have seen this set up adversely affect throughput.
All in main sockets
Standard User jingerman
(learned) Sun 25-Aug-19 14:36:55
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Malwaremike:
We noticed a table light flickering and radio crackling, both OK in another socket. Removed mains socket and found that the incoming (copper) wires had become compressed beneath securing screws and no longer made good contact. Apparently common problem; I found most socket screws in house were also loose after 30+ years so tightened them all. Usual warning re mains voltages, turn off the mains first!

Everything else fine

Like I said it works 100% when unplugged and few days later it drops from 40 to 20
Exactly half speed.

Assuming your correct about loose contact it should always stay hal speed even after unplugging
Standard User RoddyS
(newbie) Mon 26-Aug-19 17:14:41
Print Post

In somewhat similar situations, i.e. over time becoming aware of deteriorated response, buffering on streams, over domestic powerline network I have found that Rebooting just the Router solves the problem till next time. (The Router is powered on 24/7)
I Power-off the Virgin Router for 30 seconds or so, turn it back on and after connections are automatically re-established, the performance is back to normal.
My Tenda AV1000 model PH6 Powerline pair give me the same downstairs speed as an upstairs 1m direct Cat7 Lan cable connection next to the router.
I have tested Cat7 against Cat6/Cat5 cables between Router & Powerlines and Powerlines and Laptop etc and find that Cat 7 gave me an additional 4-6 Mbps.
7DS had Cat7s on sale so I replaced all cables, including the cables supplied with the Powerlines.
Just a suggestion for you to try (just re-booting the Router I mean.)
Good luck.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Aug-19 17:43:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by jingerman:
Any help would be helpful.

90% of powerline adaptors contain Qualcomm Atheros (QCA) chipsets.

Try one of these utilities to see what they are doing:
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Atheros_Power_Packet_Utility

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - Sync history highest: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
  Print Thread

Jump to