Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Xexets2
(newbie) Fri 24-Jan-20 22:53:25
Print Post

How long before DSL data rate is restored?

[link to this post]

Hi, I hope this is the right forum where to post this query.

My broadband is FTTC. I have normally a data rate of 39999kbps, actual download speed about 30Mbps.

On 7 January I fiddled with trunking and among other things I trunked the 10m RJ11 cable that connects the router to the filter and the plug. Before this I had this setup for 4 years without issue.
Today for the first time I noticed that the connection was not particularly good so I had a look at the router interface and it shows a data rate of 14999kbps. I checked the log and sure enough since 7 January the line disconnected at least once a day, up to 3 times per days for a couple of minutes at a time. My router interface had a ! Message saying that my line might be unstable. I assume the data rate was lowered at the cabinet because the line was perceived as unstable.

Now the question is: once I fix the RJ11 cable and trunking how many days of stable connection do you think I need before the data rate is restored? WIll it happen automatically?

Thanks!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 25-Jan-20 10:07:57
Print Post

Re: How long before DSL data rate is restored?

[re: Xexets2] [link to this post]

Could be a coupe of days, could be a few weeks

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Xexets2
(newbie) Sat 25-Jan-20 11:08:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ouch, ok. Fingers crossed then. This will happen automatically right? Or should I contact the ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User derby13
(regular) Sat 25-Jan-20 20:10:18
Print Post

[re: Xexets2] [link to this post]

I'd contact your ISP. I had a similar issue, dodgy cable causing dropouts and then a reduced speed profile. It didn't go back up on it's own after I replaced the cable, so after a couple of weeks I contacted my ISP (Sky) who got it sorted easily.
Standard User Xexets2
(newbie) Tue 28-Jan-20 08:57:47
Print Post

[re: derby13] [link to this post]

Just for reference, I contacted ISP, sent an engineer the day after. Line reset, all good.
  Print Thread

Jump to