Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rich_jtg
(member) Sun 05-Jul-20 22:02:08
Print Post

Inherited three different phone sockets - how can I replace?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I have just purchased a house which has three different phone sockets (pictured below).

Please could I ask if anyone could give me some guidance on how I could get these updated? I'm presuming I'm going to have to pay, but at the moment I'm not even sure of the purpose of the two older sockets.

The modern extension socket is wired into the second one, but with cabling that been run under a carpet sadly.

Socket 1

Socket 2

Socket 3

Pipex > Zen > Be > iDNet > Freeola > Zen > BT Infinity 1 > Sky Fibre Unlimited
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 05-Jul-20 22:17:13
Print Post

Re: Inherited three different phone sockets - how can I repl

[re: rich_jtg] [link to this post]

Picture 1 and 2 are simply junction/connection boxes. Only picture 3 is a useable socket.

Do you want them updated for cosmetic reasons? Unlikely to have any effect on the Broadband having them replaced.

OpenReach would definitely charge. I think it's in the £125 region to have a master socket moved.
Standard User rich_jtg
(member) Sun 05-Jul-20 22:41:42
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Many thanks for the information.

Cosmetics would be part of the reason - all three sockets are situated at random points around the house - but mainly to simplify the wiring, especially as the wiring coming out of the oval one is not fitted properly (coloured strands showing).

The usable socket is also in a very odd position (in a doorway), and I have concerns as the cabling to it has seen better days due to being trampled on.

I'll probably just end up stumping up the money I guess. Would there be any advantage in using BT for the phone service in terms of sorting, or are Openreach truly independent?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 05-Jul-20 23:45:47
Print Post

You don't have a choice but to do it through your ISP.
OpenReach won't deal with end users directly.

If placing the master socket where socket 1 is (or before it) is suitable to you then that would be an easy task and would shorten the line length, improving the broadband and removing the need to the other sockets completely.

You want to ask your ISP for a "shift of NTE", basically moving your master socket location.

You can even ask for OpenReach to change where the line enters the property (easier if it's an overhead feed from a telegraph pole).
Standard User rich_jtg
(member) Mon 06-Jul-20 20:42:02
Print Post

Many thanks for your help - socket 1 is probably a good spot for a master socket. The line seems to be ground fed so seems the way to go.

Also, thank you for the heads up on what the process is called, so I can avoid sounding like a dummy when I call the ISP!

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 07-Jul-20 05:48:34
Print Post

You can even ask for OpenReach to change where the line enters the property (easier if it's an overhead feed from a telegraph pole).

I feel pretty sure that picture number 1 is showing a plate covering where the direct in ground UG feed comes up in the wall*. (Late 60’s/early 70’s property maybe) So that would kind of dictate where any new wiring is fed from.

I’d suggest having paying and having new wire run from the back of pic 1 to a new NTE where required. Wiring of this age will hide various non broadband friendly horrors.

*Is pic1 in the entrance hall (guessing again)

Standard User threelegs
(member) Tue 07-Jul-20 16:19:00
Print Post

you could ring up your chosen isp and tell them that the house "cough cough" doesnt have a phone socket (after taking them all out and claiming that that is how you found it) but i couldnt suggest that
Standard User sparky_paul
(experienced) Tue 07-Jul-20 17:08:04
Print Post

I think a new NTE master socket would replace pic 1, and the rest ripped out.

Pic 3 is a LJU5, 80s vintage double master socket with the BT 'piper' logo - same as I have.

>>> BTFibre 2 FTTC
Standard User rich_jtg
(member) Tue 07-Jul-20 21:00:44
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
I feel pretty sure that picture number 1 is showing a plate covering where the direct in ground UG feed comes up in the wall*. (Late 60’s/early 70’s property maybe) So that would kind of dictate where any new wiring is fed from.

I’d suggest having paying and having new wire run from the back of pic 1 to a new NTE where required. Wiring of this age will hide various non broadband friendly horrors.

*Is pic1 in the entrance hall (guessing again)

Thanks for the advice. Yes, it's a early/mid 70s property, and socket 1 is near to the front door. I asked a neighbour tonight and they have a modern socket in the same location, so seems like the go-to position.

The village doesn't have amazing broadband, though thankfully FTTC is available in the street. Other areas don't, and have the old problem of drop outs when it rains.

In reply to a post by threelegs:
you could ring up your chosen isp and tell them that the house "cough cough" doesnt have a phone socket (after taking them all out and claiming that that is how you found it) but i couldnt suggest that

Although I like your style, I really don't mind paying up. smile

In reply to a post by sparky_paul:
I think a new NTE master socket would replace pic 1, and the rest ripped out.

Pic 3 is a LJU5, 80s vintage double master socket with the BT 'piper' logo - same as I have.

Thanks for the identification - the wiring location/quality would suggest it's been a DIY job, but it seems I can't blame the last owner this time (unlike all the other botch jobs in the house!)

Standard User gary333
(committed) Tue 07-Jul-20 22:14:23
Print Post

Brings back memories. The socket in picture 1 is something I remember my parents having in their house as a kid. It had a hardwired connection to an ancient phone like this.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3...

Unless I am mistaken back in the 90's BT were playing hard ball and expected people to pay a not quite so insignificant amount of money to swap them for a standard connection or just refusing. Funnily enough though as Yorkshire Cable appeared on the scene BT came and swapped their socket out.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to