Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User banana999
(newbie) Sat 31-Oct-20 14:55:43
Print Post

Random Slowdowns / Packet Loss due to Socket

[link to this post]

In the last month, on 2 separate occasions I've had a huge slowdown on my 60Mbps connection down to around 10Mbps, and my ThinkBroadBand quality monitor shows continuous 50% packet loss. It goes away after a couple of hours, but the second time I tried plugging my micro filter into the master socket instead of the face plate which seemed to sort it out instantly.

So after that I bought a 'ADSL Faceplate Splitter for NTE5' so I wouldn't need a micro-filter but just had an identical issue, and removing it and going back to the master socket with the old micro filter sorted it out.

What could be the issue, any suggested solutions? Is it a bad idea to just keep the micro filter in the master socket / why do we need a face plate? Thanks!

Edited by banana999 (Sat 31-Oct-20 15:15:48)

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sun 01-Nov-20 16:03:28
Print Post

Re: Random Slowdowns / Packet Loss due to Socket

[re: banana999] [link to this post]

Have you any extension sockets?

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016) Why I left Plusnet
Telephone rental: Pulse8
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 01-Nov-20 19:11:09
Print Post

[re: banana999] [link to this post]

You can leave the front plate off and just use your microfilter in the test socket. Only you know if that’s too aesthetically unpleasant for you.

As Jelv asks, is there extension wiring terminated on the front plate ? This is the most likely cause of your issues.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User banana999
(newbie) Sat 14-Nov-20 18:42:09
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Nope no extension sockets, directly plugged in to the main socket which is actually the only one in my flat. It's really random, haven't had the issue since I posted this *touch wood*
  Print Thread

Jump to