Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Chef_uk
(newbie) Wed 11-Nov-20 14:47:40
Print Post

VDSL2 connection keeps dropping out

[link to this post]

Up until this summer, I was getting a steady 19Mbps/4.5Mbps connection. This was despite ISPs saying I should get 25Mbps with a minimum of 22Mbps but as the connection was stable, I wasn't too concerned.

Over the last few months though that speed first fell down to 15Mbps/0.5Mbps and then I started to get packet loss with connection drop outs. I rang up my ISP who said there was an issue as to them, I was not online even though to me, I was. So an Open Reach engineer came out to test the line.

Annoyingly, no fault could be found but he did say he could only get 15Mbps, however as the Master Socket was really old he replaced it with a new one that comes with the in-built filter. He then tested the line again and immediately I was getting 28Mbps. Result.

For the next 7 days, my speeds were no lower than 28Mbps/7Mbps with 32Mbps/7Mbps being the best for a couple of days before dropping over the following 5 days down to 19Mbps/0.6Mbps.

Despite this improvement when there was no fault on the line, I was still seeing connection drop outs, annoying but not defeated as the Router lives in a different room to the Master Socket, I decided to buy some DSL cable and go directly to the Master Socket bypassing the extension socket. This helped a little to bring my upstream to 0.7Mbps but did nothing for stability or to get back to the +28Mbps downstream I was getting. Finally I decided to try a 3rd party router (TPLink AC2100). Connection established but still no improvement to speed and still getting drop outs.

So I'm at a loss now. All tests were over a wired connection, some devices using CAT7 and some CAT6.

Latest Router stats show:

Line Status: Connected
DSL Up Time: 0 days 0 hours 23 minutes
DSL Modulation Type: VDSL2
Annex Type: Annex auto
Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (kbps) 798 22690
Max Rate (kbps) 798 29435
SNR Margin (dB) 6.8 6.2
Line Attenuation (dB) 6.3 25.8
Errors (pkts) 1 3

What else can I do?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 11-Nov-20 16:29:58
Print Post

Re: VDSL2 connection keeps dropping out

[re: Chef_uk] [link to this post]

The extension how is this wired in? If the modem worked on an extension phone socket then that suggests that it was not filtered at the faceplate.

This creates a bridge tap that can cause all the problems you are talking about.

When you remove the master socket faceplate to reveal the test socket, does the extension go dead? And if yes, what sync speeds are you getting using a microfilter and the test socket

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Chef_uk
(newbie) Wed 11-Nov-20 19:32:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The extension how is this wired in? If the modem worked on an extension phone socket then that suggests that it was not filtered at the faceplate.

This creates a bridge tap that can cause all the problems you are talking about.

When you remove the master socket faceplate to reveal the test socket, does the extension go dead? And if yes, what sync speeds are you getting using a microfilter and the test socket

Original faceplate wasn't filtered but have had no problems for 10 years. Faceplate is now filtered though (5C, MK4) but still the same result.

Extension stays active when the faceplate is removed as its still wired in. Should I pull those wires out if I no longer plan to use to the extension and will that fix the issue?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 11-Nov-20 20:35:52
Print Post

On removing faceplate to show test socket the extension should be dead, unless wired explicitly as an ADSL extension. Generally not a good thing to have with VDSL2

As for why good for many years, possibly cross talk is more prevalent now, or there is some other error that sees sync or DLM measures lowering speed to reduce number of resents

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 11-Nov-20 21:18:34
Print Post

Extension stays active when the faceplate is removed as its still wired in. Should I pull those wires out if I no longer plan to use to the extension and will that fix the issue?

Then there is still a bridge tap, which is what is causing the issue.

If the dial tone remains with the faceplate pulled, then the line is ‘teed’ before what you believe is the NTE.

Standard User Chef_uk
(newbie) Wed 11-Nov-20 21:49:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

White cable is the new DSL direct to Router
Old Black cable that goes under the carpet is the extension

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19eGPHnyImQRf9U1Yom0...

And with the Faceplate off, it looks like this

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19iBZ7Gr7ZcrCWBmuN_P...

So should I pull those three small wires out?
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Nov-20 00:14:03
Print Post

The bell wire on the voice extension seems to be connected and it looks like you have a "flat", possibly low quality, adsl lead. What is currently the approximate distance between the router and the NTE5 master socket?
Standard User Chef_uk
(newbie) Thu 12-Nov-20 19:28:50
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

4 metres
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Nov-20 20:04:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chef_uk:
4 metres

That should be OK with a good quality micro filter and good quality DSL lead from the NTE test socket to the router. That's if it is not running closely in parallel to an electrical mains cable (or other source of interference) in order to achieve a reasonable sync speed. At this stage,with the filtered face-plate removed from the master NTE and using the test socket for a micro filter and DSL lead, you should not be getting a dial tone when using a phone handset in the extension socket...
  Print Thread

Jump to