Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 05-Dec-20 16:19:00
Print Post

Re: ADSL Loop Extender / ADSL DSLAM in All in One Cab?

[re: cancunia] [link to this post]

But the long range VDSL would not provide reasonable speeds .... you may only want 10 meg, but for the average household these days, plus the increased requirement for bandwidth from many applications... more speed is required.

Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Sat 05-Dec-20 17:09:26
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Exactly what I had suggested, BT will already have discounted EE but one of the others may be better.

However it appears he is in a dip in the Wolds and mobile signal is poor, if he posted a postcode it would give us a clearer idea but would also likely identify the exact premises. Some of the houses have over 1 mile of cable serving a single premises.

For the area the £500k FTTP quote is likely to be accurate. Most houses are isolated and on the spring line so poor mobile is usual.
Standard User Fastman3
(member) Sun 06-Dec-20 09:49:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

mcsaffron my understanding it is not a Fibre on demand - it a native FTTP service once the costs a paiud it is native FTTP - that not the same as cereus

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Fastman3
(member) Sun 06-Dec-20 09:55:25
Print Post

mu question is how many arer in your location and how many did you ask to be included om your costgin - if there are say 200 in your community and you only asked for yourself - you asked the wrong question and anything which is signifcantly more than once or could cover a whol community you are best to look at Openreach community fibre partnership

if they coudl desktop that in 2 days that suggest they already knew what the cost of that would be and what areas would be challenging in the USO space (looks like you premises or your area had already been looked at (possibly by another resident already)
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 06-Dec-20 10:02:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by cancunia:
I'm not paying £250 for something that IMHO BT should be doing anyway.
I think it comes down to how desperate you are to find a solution, as others have said a Community Fibre Partnership may be something to investigate for you and your community or try to group together with your community for a group USO but personally I would pay the money for a FoD survey if everything else was a dead end.

Edit: If you're that far out in the sticks and no other affordable options are available then you may need to wait until low earth orbit (LEO) satellite solutions go live which will give you reasonable speed.

Edited by dect (Sun 06-Dec-20 10:13:12)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 06-Dec-20 10:10:45
Print Post

[re: Fastman3] [link to this post]

FoD has changed over the years and you are not tied to a 330 Mbps service like in the past, i.e. a choice of speeds is possible.

Anyway the costs of building via FoD or native FTTP are the same.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User cancunia
(newbie) Sun 06-Dec-20 10:18:00
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Thanks again for all the replies & suggestions.
TBPH, my Internet connection is stable & usable at 2.5Mbps on average so it's not a desperate situation. I started the thread thinking that BT had some technology to increase my line speed by putting some additional hardware into the cabinet and that USO may cover the cost of that hardware. I have worked with BT OR on a number of occasions in the past and seen that the solutions offered are often the easiest for them but not the most cost effective for the customer. I won't go into details as it's commercially sensitive.
It seems that BT have adopted the same or a similar approach to USO, with only the FTTP or 4G offerings.
For me an upgrade to 5M would be great & 10M fantastic but I have no intention of spending money on a survey for FTTP as I know it will cost more than I'm prepared to pay. 4G data won't work where I am, the signal on any network (I've tried them all) is too poor, what's more it will degrade when there's a race meeting at Cadwell Park. There are 2 houses where I live, so a community fibre is not an option either.
Quite frankly, I'm amazed at the lack of options between long line copper ADSL & FTTP!
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 06-Dec-20 11:18:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by cancunia:
Quite frankly, I'm amazed at the lack of options between long line copper ADSL & FTTP!

Perhaps keep an eye on Starlink's pricing once it is available in the UK:
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/...

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Sun 06-Dec-20 11:25:05
Print Post

Are there any fixed wireless or other alternative service providers who can reach you?

For example Quickline is being funded by Lincolnshire County Council and claims that it should be able to service Cadwell Park so you might be in luck.

Edited by GonePostal (Sun 06-Dec-20 11:25:52)

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sun 06-Dec-20 12:48:44
Print Post

I've been reading this thread with some interest.

I had a quick search through the thread, and didn't spot a mention of it, so will throw up a Hail Mary. Is line bonding an option? If so, it could give you 5 Meg or more. Failing that, I'd look to satellite BB, if an option. I guess there are good reasons other haven't suggested these, but you never know. smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to