General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mikejp
(committed) Sun 05-Jan-20 16:42:55
Print Post

Plusnet 'bog standard' router - wifi

[link to this post]

Quite a few folk experiencing very poor (or no!) performance with wifi from these. My son has recently gone over the PN from BT and now has had to re-instate his BT router to get any connection.

Problem well-known to PN but has been ongoing for 9 months or so with no resolution. Latest 'advice' is to switch off the 5GHz . Son did this and found the wifi connection with LOS fading at 10- 15ft - hence the return to the BT box.
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 05-Jan-20 18:02:02
Print Post

Re: Plusnet 'bog standard' router - wifi

[re: mikejp] [link to this post]

What router is this?

I've been using a Technicolor TG582N for several years with little problem. In fact I swapped back to using it from a more up to date model on my latest ISP.

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Shell Energy BB via Technicolor TG582N

Previously - NowTV, Plusnet, Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========

Edited by hk11 (Sun 05-Jan-20 18:02:52)

Standard User alexatkin
(member) Sun 05-Jan-20 18:11:13
Print Post

AFAIK Plusnet are still using the re-branded Home Hub 5, which is essentially junk IMO.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Sun 05-Jan-20 18:51:39
Print Post

If you don't like or find your ISP supplied router doesn't meet your requirements there is nothing to stop you doing what may others do and that is either purchase a router that meets your requirements or move to an ISP who supply an acceptable router.
Standard User mikejp
(committed) Sun 05-Jan-20 21:14:58
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

"If you don't like or find your ISP etc etc" - read post 1?
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Sun 05-Jan-20 21:57:15
Print Post

Indeed, so your son did what was best for him. Others are happy with the router their ISP provides including many using PlusNet. I'm not so sure that not liking the router provided by ones ISP should be an example of ISP unhappiness. My two immediate neighbours both use Plusnet and neither have the problems experienced by your son. Nevertheless I'm pleased your son found a solution.
Standard User mikejp
(committed) Mon 06-Jan-20 08:23:16
Print Post

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

hk - sorry for the delay. I believe, as 'alexatkin' says, it is the BT HUB5 re-branded as 'Plusnet Hub One'. Why this problem only appears to affect the PN version I do not understand.

Out of interest, does anyone else find an amazingly poor range performance with the router wifi on 2.4? Replacement in the same location with the BT 5 sorted it out and my lad will probably reactivate the 5 channel in a week or so to see what happens.

McM - "My two immediate neighbours both use Plusnet and neither have the problems experienced by your son." Jolly good. Without a lot more information I'm afraid that post is of minor interest. I assume you do not visit the PN forum. This is an issue of provision of faulty goods for some customers, and a heck of a long time sorting it out!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 06-Jan-20 10:27:02
Print Post

Two versions of the hub 5 exist, so it may be one is under performing. It will be a lot less noticeable with BT customers since the Hub 5 is fairly old now so lots more people using the Smart Hub which is currently sent out.

Another possibility is that the Plusnet firmware is based on a core set of code that is missing some tweaks to the Wi-Fi code.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Malwaremike
(experienced) Mon 06-Jan-20 11:05:18
Print Post

Could your son, like myself, have decided to move BT--PN because it's much better value? If you want the latest BT kit, then pay BT prices!

As you say there's plenty of info on the PN forum, including an excellent guide on setting up the HH6 for PN. For the past six months I've been using the HH6 bought for £10 on Gumtree and I reckon the wifi is about 20% better than the PN Hub One. The HH6 updates automatically even connected to the PN network. Incidentally I also had difficulties with 5Ghz so switched it off as the forum suggests, no further problems.
Standard User mikejp
(committed) Mon 06-Jan-20 11:24:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Correct, Andrew, but not a lot of use for Plusnet customers!

Mike - why do you assume he wants 'the latest BT kit'??!!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to