General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 18-Dec-20 14:09:29
Print Post

Re: Plusnet data leak?

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes to the Steve part

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Dec-20 14:45:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yep, Steve has sent me 4 in the last hour - 3 for Doncaster and 1 for Edinburgh.
Standard User clyde123
(member) Fri 18-Dec-20 15:40:54
Print Post

Sadly I feel very lonely - I've got none from Steve !!!

I've only got two today - one Doncaster & one Edinburgh - but neither mention Steve.

I've actually been able to reduce this particular spam flow. PM me.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Dec-20 16:17:24
Print Post

[re: ambrougham] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ambrougham:
Click Here to see ye olde weekly F9/PN Spam Volume Chart. More spam than you can possibly shake a stick at tongue
Thank you Plusnet, grrrrrrrrrr ...
Haha, I don't monitor mine as such but from time to time when browsing the server logs I see a few I recognise. There's one in particular that I blacklisted over fifteen years ago that still makes a frequent appearance. I suppose that's going to be my lasting contribution to the internet.

The reason I mostly only shop from the big boys now is because most of the independents managed to leak my email address eventually. Sad.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Dec-20 16:19:18
Print Post

[re: clyde123] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by clyde123:
A bit like my landline - for days now, I'm getting up to about 10 or 12 phone calls a day from "an automated message from Amazon". They start about 09.01 in the morning and generally never last beyond 2pm or so.
Get a TrueCall unit. You'll still be called but the machine will deal with them without you ever noticing. I occasionally see it's 'in use' light light up but after a few seconds it goes dark again and the caller goes off to bother someone else smile

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Dec-20 16:23:23
Print Post

What makes me laugh are bouts of actual hack attempts on my server. Every now and again it will come under attack from someone actually trying to log on via IMAP or the website using a dictionary attack. And when I say 'dictionary attack' I've seen user names like:
dfgfdg
rfyrty56674763t
jhguyk
fghshstye46
4hdhj
tgdjd...

And one time the quite hilarious
GGGGGGGGGGGG
HHHHHHHHHHHHH
IIIIIIIIIII...

I suppose they have to start somewhere. But my server is setup with an escalating naughty step and after three failed attempts the IP address is blocked for three months. A drop in the ocean and it doesn't do it for IPv6 but hopefully it deters a few of them.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User user7423
(committed) Fri 18-Dec-20 20:23:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Just as a side question, are anyone's all from [email protected]random domain? Mine are. Given they are all on the same topic, apartments, it wouldn't be surprising.

smile 🎶

Just checked mine in Mailwasher recycle bin, the Doncaster ones start with [email protected] different domains, [email protected] different domains [email protected] different domains [email protected] diffferent domains and [email protected] different domains
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 18-Dec-20 23:31:50
Print Post

[re: user7423] [link to this post]

Not the domain smile. We know those are all over the place. I mean before the @. All mine are from "steve", whatever the domain, and others have seen the same.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Standard User user7423
(committed) Sat 19-Dec-20 08:40:13
Print Post

No Steve's, all started with the town before the @
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to