User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Mon 15-Apr-19 18:31:40
Print Post

Do I cross over?

[link to this post]

VM has just cabled my street. I have gone from not touching them with a bargepole to being sorely tempted. I am not encouraged by their site saying that I STILL cannot get their cable service when the workmen packed up 2-3 weeks ago.

I have a lovely Asus RT-AC86U router that is bullet-proof to my amateur radio transmissions, unlike the N66U I had before.

What kit for VM make me have and can I still use my own router should I move? I have heard bad things about the tech support. My current provider's support, when I have needed it has been stellar - the advantage of being with a small outfit.

What do I do?

TIA

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

Edited by DrTeeth (Mon 15-Apr-19 18:32:15)

Standard User amiga_dude
(newbie) Tue 16-Apr-19 23:38:06
Print Post

Re: Do I cross over?

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

They will give you one those SuperHub3 (Puma6).
First thing to do with it when get change it to "modem mode".
Then use you own router.

Lets say Puma6 chip has an documented history
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/08/14/intel_puma_...
https://badmodems.com/Forum/app.php/badmodems

Edited by amiga_dude (Tue 16-Apr-19 23:41:09)

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 17-Apr-19 06:21:50
Print Post

Just over a year ago I was in your position, having previously vowed I'd never use VM mainly due to congestion issues. However having the potential of Vivid 350 compared to an ECI fed ally phone line makes you consider it. Our area was a brand new full fibre area, so I decided to go with it, I've not had any problems apart from I could only order Vivid 200 to start with, but Vivid 350 was available a few weeks later. The router was set to modem mode on receipt, and it's worked perfectly ever since.

PS Just because the workmen have left doesn't mean it should be live, there's other pieces to the puzzle that can take months to install. The puma chip problem's have been fixed, of at least worked around.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User teshy
(learned) Wed 17-Apr-19 11:00:01
Print Post

I am in a similar situation, street just cabled up, an eyesore of a huge grey cabinet across the road. And also slightly tempted to a sign up after it becomes available. I think that, while all street work may have been done by VM, there is some more work to be done connecting it all up to their network and carrying out tests. I think VM availability for me is still months, rather than weeks, away.
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 17-Apr-19 11:51:50
Print Post

Long time user of VM, been on BT etc as well on FTTC, in my area I've had zero issues and i even use the SH3 on router mode.

Standard User dect
(member) Wed 17-Apr-19 16:49:02
Print Post

Hi DrTeeth, am interested to know more about what issues you had with the N66U and your amateur radio transmissions, was it only when transmitting on specific bands (e.g. 70cm, 2m, 10m, 11m) or did it manifest itself differently.
Standard User Stealthbird97
(newbie) Wed 17-Apr-19 20:52:08
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
Hi DrTeeth, am interested to know more about what issues you had with the N66U and your amateur radio transmissions, was it only when transmitting on specific bands (e.g. 70cm, 2m, 10m, 11m) or did it manifest itself differently.

As much as I'd hate to jump in on this post. I have tremendous problems with my internet when I do my amateur radio stuff. Transmitting on any power level on (20,30,40m) my SNR drops significantly and then conks out, if I keep transmitting it will reconnect but after leaving it for 5 minutes or so and begin transmitting again, it will drop out on transmit. The only way to fix it is to force it to sync at 6db rather than 3db, but then I lose about 10Mb/s speed.
I also don't know if I'm interfering with other people and the last thing I want is for an ofcom complaint.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiBABuLSK_k
Standard User dect
(member) Wed 17-Apr-19 23:00:12
Print Post

[re: Stealthbird97] [link to this post]

Could the Asus RT-AC86U router be a solution to your problem like it was for DrTeeth.
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Fri 19-Apr-19 17:40:12
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:

Transmission on any band from top to 10m resulted in losing all LAN/internet connectivity. I got so many ferrite things of all types and nothing worked until I treated myself to a new router. Pure luck that I hit the problem on its head. All ferrites removed.

73 de DrTeeth aka G4DWV 4X1LT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User Daemon66
(member) Tue 23-Apr-19 16:17:43
Print Post

Support of any kind from VirginMedia is woeful. I jumped ship from having Vivid 350 over to a BT 80/20 because half a dozen engineers failed to rectify the connection drops I was having.

VM is really great, a great service for a great price, but only when it works. As soon as you hit any issue you'll be left tearing your hair out.

I'm now on BT Ultrafast 2 getting 330/50, almost back to the DL speed I had with VM and paying more for it!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to