User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Thu 22-Aug-19 18:40:09
Print Post

It defies logic

[link to this post]

It has been months since VM cables my street and seemingly every other around here. They keep on saying how expensive it is to lay cable so I cannot understand why they drag their feet in getting people connected so they can see a return on their investment.

What are they playing at?

Cheers

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User gary333
(member) Thu 22-Aug-19 22:19:47
Print Post

Re: It defies logic

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

Could be anything from waiting for power company to do work, council / planning issues, to a database issue to other reasons as long as your arm

You could try the construction team on: 0333 000 5925 for an update on when the street might go live.
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Fri 23-Aug-19 13:08:12
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

Hi Gary,

I will give that number a ring. However, I would counter by saying that a company would only go to the expense once they had all the arrangements to go live as soon as possible to ensure revenue comes in ASAP. From what I have heard, my case is not exceptional.

From an economic standpoint, it does not make any sense at all

Cheers

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gary333
(member) Fri 23-Aug-19 14:52:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by DrTeeth:
Hi Gary,

I will give that number a ring. However, I would counter by saying that a company would only go to the expense once they had all the arrangements to go live as soon as possible to ensure revenue comes in ASAP. From what I have heard, my case is not exceptional.

From an economic standpoint, it does not make any sense at all

Cheers

DrT

A small company, probably yes. However your Utopian view isn't reflective of the real world as far as many large companies are concerned. They tend to be chaotic with lots of over worked individuals, many without the right skills, all trying to work through bureaucracy and not working to a common end goal.

When it comes to infrastructure it's not just a case of dig a hole in the ground, stick some cables in and then chuck some tarmac over. There are lots of stakeholders all with different views and one thing in the chain breaks and suddenly the project comes to a halt. As no-one will really care, if a couple of streets aren't working, it isn't given a high priority and the relevant workers are probably stretched figuring how to fix the thousand and one issues they have coming in.
Standard User mgaidia
(newbie) Fri 30-Aug-19 10:34:56
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

Literally every street around mine has access to Virgin Media, The whole town does. I called the number posted by gary333, chose option 1, the operator asked me to ring back and select option 4 which I did, I was then given the sales team number, called them and I was told we do not have plans to cable your street in the next 18 months. I wanted to know why did they only skip my street and the operator told me to call my local council, she couldn't give me an answer.
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(learned) Fri 30-Aug-19 15:38:52
Print Post

[re: mgaidia] [link to this post]

I'd have a look at the street status on https://roadworks.org alongside perhaps any conservation areas. If it's not public they aren't going to dig there.

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User wezlyons
(learned) Fri 13-Sep-19 16:28:40
Print Post

Even worse is when two years after digging my street up they finally start connecting people only for my house to be in some sort of limbo.

My entire street including both my immediate neighbours on either side can get Virgin but my house can't. This despite digging up right outside my house at the time.
  Print Thread

Jump to