User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Sep-19 16:09:44
Print Post

Modem mode probs out of the box.

[link to this post]

Got connected yesterday, except that I got the M200 connection instead of the M350 one that I ordered. Fibre optic was laid in the street and coax comes from a box on the side of the house.

This is an issue that VM needs to sort out. The first thing I did was to select modem mode as I have a very nice router (Asus RT-AC86U). The router (reconfigured for the connection from PPPoE to Auto IP) would not connect. Kept on getting "DHCP not working properly" (or similar) no matter what I did.

The ONLY thing to fix this was to press the reset button for 40 seconds. I ready this somewhere else from somebody else had issues with this, but not out of the box as I did as he had been a customer for a while.

Now just to get the connection I ordered...

Cheers

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 29-Sep-19 18:12:12
Print Post

Re: Modem mode probs out of the box.

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

Interesting you must be in a recent growth area (project lightning) to get actual fibre in the street, and a fibre to coax converter. In theory there is no difference between a full fibre and a Hybrid-Fibre-Coax (HFC) area, as you get identical devices in the home.

Cable modem's are temperamental beasts, and the unit probably locked on to the first MAC address it saw when in router mode, and switching to modem mode didn't reset it properly. The very first cable modem I ever used was the 3Com CMX in 1999 and it had no menus/web pages, only an coax screw connector and an RJ45, a serial port and a reset button. Watching the console lot from the serial port was illuminating smile

Hopefully that's your only glitch, and billing should be able to sort the service tier quickly once you're live.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9(Sep/17),54/6(Jan/19),46/7(Sep/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM

Edited by jchamier (Sun 29-Sep-19 18:13:48)

Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Wed 09-Oct-19 20:42:39
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

I had almost the same issue, website said 350 was available, but when I came to order they only let me have 200. I messaged the local rep and they managed to get things fixed, apparently somebody hadn't ticked a box somewhere to allow 350 on the local network. After that I was able to regrade to 350.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Oct-19 15:01:46
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Got there in the end. had a hell of a long wait for somebody to answer the phone. Was on hold for >45 mins. In the end, contacted the retentions team and they sorted it out. They did not seem to know that as I had my phone line with them too, that making the switch would disconnect the call. We'll see what the first year brings and see what deal they can do to keep me after that.
My last ISP, UNO, were brilliant in every respect on the rare occasions that I needed to contact them. I left with a very heavy heart indeed.

Cheers

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
  Print Thread

Jump to