User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User FTTCIsNotFibre
(newbie) Thu 10-Oct-19 10:12:56
Print Post

Anyone know how long it takes for new cables to be ready?

[link to this post]

Does anyone know how long it takes for Virgin to be ready to order after laying cables? They've just started laying cables today but I switched provider on the OR network yesterday meaning I have a 14 day cooling off period. The area they did down from me a good few months back says its all available to order (I didn't check weekly so no idea how long it finally took) If it's 5-6 weeks then I could use mobile broadband for that, but if it's gonna be like 4 months or longer then it'll be best to stick with what I've got
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(regular) Thu 10-Oct-19 10:15:50
Print Post

Re: Anyone know how long it takes for new cables to be ready

[re: FTTCIsNotFibre] [link to this post]

If they've only just started digging it's a piece of string question to be honest as it depends on a bunch of things.1

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 10-Oct-19 13:42:19
Print Post

Often months after passing your house unless you're 1 of the last on the node to be done.
They tend not to activate little bits at a time.

They passed my property this week and I'm hoping it's available to order by the time my contract expires in April 2020.

Driving down the road yesterday I see the large cabinet that will serve my area is still sitting empty (doors wide open) so not a chance anyone is live yet.

The Virgin chap was at my door this morning asking how the install went and asking if I had any complaints.
They're estimated my area to go live around March.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Oct-19 15:49:43
Print Post

My street was done in October 2017, was able to order in April 2018.

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 10-Oct-19 15:53:35
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
My street was done in October 2017, was able to order in April 2018.

That timing would suit me perfect and is about what I would expect.

Probably not what the OP wanted to hear though.
Standard User gary333
(member) Thu 10-Oct-19 19:49:49
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
Often months after passing your house unless you're 1 of the last on the node to be done.
They tend not to activate little bits at a time.

They passed my property this week and I'm hoping it's available to order by the time my contract expires in April 2020.

Driving down the road yesterday I see the large cabinet that will serve my area is still sitting empty (doors wide open) so not a chance anyone is live yet.

The Virgin chap was at my door this morning asking how the install went and asking if I had any complaints.
They're estimated my area to go live around March.

They'll probably leave the doors open even when they install the equipment. They like to leave the doors open. Although, it's usually contractors busting the locks when they don't have the keys..
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(regular) Fri 11-Oct-19 21:37:20
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gary333:
They'll probably leave the doors open even when they install the equipment. They like to leave the doors open. Although, it's usually contractors busting the locks when they don't have the keys..

Those guys won't have access to the larger virtual hub cabinet the poster mentioned.

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User maddawg_feeps
(newbie) Fri 18-Oct-19 14:16:43
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Howdy,

I have had VM come to me 2 weeks ago to ask about interest to infill my street and the next day requested wayleave from all 18 houses on the street because of the positive feedback, everyone agreed (bar 1, but they are going to just go around them).

A few days later, VM were back again to sign some of the people up to services. 2 days ago I had lots of VM emails with package details / install dates / direct debit information along with VM account number and area code. This allowed me to sign up to the My Account. The install date was set to the "max allowed" it looked like, which was a exactly a month from when all the welcome emails came in. The direct debit is setup to come out on the 20th Dec, find it all a bit strange as its going to take at least 5 weeks to start the digging (nothing on local council planning website yet) and it looks like I am going to be getting billed before the service is even in. I just hope it is just a placeholder for now, but I have a feeling that setting up a direct debit is not a placeholder type thing.

So my question is as I live in a cul de sac and part of infil, am I also looking at months before everything is ready?

Plusnet - Service 80/20, Actual 53/6 @ 800m from cab

Edited by maddawg_feeps (Fri 18-Oct-19 14:21:54)

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Oct-19 14:28:19
Print Post

[re: maddawg_feeps] [link to this post]

They are simply extending out to you.
Your area is live already.
The main cabinet you will be connecting to is already live/commissioned.

It's a much more complicated build starting from scratch as they are for my area.
We have no Virgin Media within a few miles.
Ronski was also in a new build area.

A month is not overly ambitious to extend to a cul-de-sac they've passed with a live network.

Edited by j0hn83 (Fri 18-Oct-19 14:29:32)

Print Thread

Jump to