User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Fri 15-Nov-19 13:27:53
Print Post

VM install in flats

[link to this post]

SCCI Alphatrack is planning on installing VM in my block of flats.

Interestingly, they say they will use the existing TV distribution system to achieve this and won't require any new cabling ran, just a new socket.

Is this actually true? How would this work in more technical detail? We have 2x Sky feeds, Freeview & DAB coming to my flat. Would they overlay it on the Sky coax?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 15-Nov-19 16:28:47
Print Post

Re: VM install in flats

[re: mr_mojo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mr_mojo:
Is this actually true?

Not if they're going to deliver VM's coax into each flat. The only way that can be true is if they're only supplying VM's television channels over the TV distribution system.

The typical freeview distribution system isn't suitable for Sky, but both of those are one way. The VM coax is TWO way, signals from your home go back to the VM head end.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - sync history: 64/9(Sep/17),54/6(Jan/19),46/7(Sep/19)
Back to cable after 15 years, VM due 22nd Nov.
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 16-Nov-19 10:59:36
Print Post

Is this actually true? How would this work in more technical detail? We have 2x Sky feeds, Freeview & DAB coming to my flat. Would they overlay it on the Sky coax?

Thinking about this a bit more, if you have a system that brings in multiple services to your flat already, it is possible there is space in the walls / trunking to add more services, using their own cables. VM coax is similar to Sky coax.

To keep the language simple, they might have said "the existing system" to stop people worrying. They could already have additional spare coax feeds to each flat, and VM are just connecting up at the boundary.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - sync history: 64/9(Sep/17),54/6(Jan/19),46/7(Sep/19)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mrmarktigger
(regular) Sat 16-Nov-19 11:16:41
Print Post

They could be intending to use the Freeview Coax cable, while upgrading the distribution amps for that.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 16-Nov-19 11:29:55
Print Post

[re: mrmarktigger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mrmarktigger:
They could be intending to use the Freeview Coax cable, while upgrading the distribution amps for that.

The type of coax used for terrestrial television isn't sufficient for the frequencies of cable, and wouldn't work with the VirginMedia TV boxes or cable modem (hub).

Maybe they are guessing before speaking to VM ? smile

Standard User gary333
(member) Sat 16-Nov-19 11:56:43
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by mrmarktigger:

The type of coax used for terrestrial television isn't sufficient for the frequencies of cable, and wouldn't work with the VirginMedia TV boxes or cable modem (hub).

Maybe they are guessing before speaking to VM ? smile

Altough it might not up to Virgin Media's current specification (triple shielding rather than single or at best double of lesser stuff) RG6 cable is capable of delivering Virgin Media services. In fact back in the day there was talk of older CATV networks using RG59 internally.

I believe the outside cable used to this day by Virgin Media from cabinet to house is still just a triple shielded reinforced version of RG6 at up to 100m and they switch to RG11 for longer distances.
Standard User mrmarktigger
(regular) Sat 16-Nov-19 12:13:51
Print Post

I'm sure the Freeview coax would be the same as the sky coax. They wouldn't of installed two different grades if installed at the same time. And if not they could use the sky coax if that's permissible.

I used to design cable TV systems and oversee there installation and troubleshoot any issues that arose. There many different ways to distribute Cable TV and DOCSIS 3.x through existing terrestrial cable systems.
I started this in 1987 and have still been involved with them over the years.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 16-Nov-19 13:10:58
Print Post

[re: mrmarktigger] [link to this post]

Thanks for explaining. I guess we just have no idea what type of distribution is in place.

Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Nov-19 01:19:01
Print Post

Letter definitely mentions it having broadband, not just TV. Also specifically says that no additional cable will be ran, just a new socket where the Sky/Freeview feed comes in.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 17-Nov-19 10:21:32
Print Post

Letter definitely mentions it having broadband, not just TV. Also specifically says that no additional cable will be ran, just a new socket where the Sky/Freeview feed comes in.

I suspect there is already cable in the walls, and they just need to add the socket. But we are all guessing!

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to