User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User netizen_uk
(learned) Thu 30-Jan-20 14:38:43
Print Post

Business Line DOWN since last Midnight ?????

[link to this post]

Business Voom 500 line + Static Subnet
---
We had received notification for works (HITRON firmware updates) since 2-3 weeks ago, planned to happen last night.

It did... and the result is that Hitron cannot get the subnet back...
Is anyone else out-there with the same problem?
Tried everything.....

Tech Support has stopped responding which makes me believe that the impact is greater than I thought initially.

This is REALLY BAD !!!!!
Standard User nameGoesHere
(newbie) Wed 18-Mar-20 16:20:31
Print Post

Re: Business Line DOWN since last Midnight ?????

[re: netizen_uk] [link to this post]

Similar boat here, currently downloading at ~1.8MB/sec where as it was closer to 40MB yesterday.

Working from home is impossible on a "business" service frown
Standard User CSS_1978
(newbie) Wed 18-Mar-20 22:43:28
Print Post

[re: nameGoesHere] [link to this post]

Do you guys have static IP's, I waited over an hour today to get through to tech support and thank god it was in the UK, I believe the issue is only effecting static ip customers.

Virgin Media Business VOOM 500 + 13 Static IP's
BT Business VDSL 80/20(sync speed 50/13) + 5 Static IP's

Edited by CSS_1978 (Thu 19-Mar-20 07:26:28)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ubernick
(newbie) Thu 19-Mar-20 09:50:41
Print Post

[re: netizen_uk] [link to this post]

It was down yesterday for me for about 2 hours from 11am.

Clearly VM do not have the network capacity to support people working from home en mass. I was getting single digit speeds following restoration of service for the rest of the day. I was on the phone support yesterday as my 12 hour SLA requires confirmation of loss of service and it hung up on their end after an hour.

From 7 until 9am this morning speed was restored to about 400mb (I'm on Vroom 500). Now at 9:45am I'm back to sub-10mb down and up.

Fortunately I kept a cheap FTTC service on my phone line (Vodafone business) which has kept up at about 50 down, 18 up, which was always its typical speed.

Never thought I'd be praising Vodafone but here I am.
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(member) Thu 19-Mar-20 14:14:29
Print Post

[re: ubernick] [link to this post]

Let me guess, you're also on static |P?

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
(newbie) Thu 19-Mar-20 14:30:17
Print Post

[re: CSS_1978] [link to this post]

Yes have a static IP, which is why I'm with them tbh. On the hour long wait to support was told the same re only users with static IPs affected frown
(newbie) Thu 19-Mar-20 14:31:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by ubernick:
It was down yesterday for me for about 2 hours from 11am.

Clearly VM do not have the network capacity to support people working from home en mass. I was getting single digit speeds following restoration of service for the rest of the day. I was on the phone support yesterday as my 12 hour SLA requires confirmation of loss of service and it hung up on their end after an hour.

From 7 until 9am this morning speed was restored to about 400mb (I'm on Vroom 500). Now at 9:45am I'm back to sub-10mb down and up.

Fortunately I kept a cheap FTTC service on my phone line (Vodafone business) which has kept up at about 50 down, 18 up, which was always its typical speed.

Never thought I'd be praising Vodafone but here I am.

There is no fibre option for me on my line. So this is the ONLY option I have and its crawling currently frown

Side point, I too noticed it speed for for a short while but its back to its slow speed as you mentioned.
Standard User alunj
(newbie) Thu 19-Mar-20 16:40:44
Print Post

So does anyone know if we can get the static turned off . IE can I turn the tunnel off and just use the underlying connection which seems fine . GRE is currently running 140ms latency
Standard User ubernick
(newbie) Thu 19-Mar-20 16:44:18
Print Post

[re: alunj] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by alunj:
So does anyone know if we can get the static turned off . IE can I turn the tunnel off and just use the underlying connection which seems fine . GRE is currently running 140ms latency

My latency is normal, just the connection is very slow. Might be worth contacting them and holding as you’ll have an SLA with a minimum speed requirement whereby you can get out of your contract otherwise.

I finally managed to get through to VMB who took this very seriously and said someone will be in touch within 12 hours. They denied having capacity issues and said an engineer needs to look at it.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 19-Mar-20 19:31:25
Print Post

Virgin Media overall is performing as normal. it is possible though that some segments may not and how the static IP business tunnels are handled may be the cause.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to