User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User rjh321
(member) Sun 05-Jul-20 11:07:34
Print Post

Services not available

[link to this post]

A friend in Margate, postcode CT9 2DD, wishes to sign up with Virgin Media. She has a Virgin Media cabinet in front of her house. However, when she enters her postcode into their checker, it states that their services aren't available in her area. Margate is in Thanet and Virgin Media cover the whole of Thanet so can anyone explain why this small area has no service? I've checked a few other addresses in the same road with the same result.
Standard User gary333
(committed) Sun 05-Jul-20 11:13:58
Print Post

Re: Services not available

[re: rjh321] [link to this post]

It might be an over subscribed area where they don’t want to accept any more customers due to no more capacity.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 05-Jul-20 16:00:04
Print Post

Virgin Media cover a lot but not all of Thanet

https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/broadband-map#...

Just checked and roll-out has this postcode on the edge of roll-out so might be coming back at a later date to do other roads that have not been done yet.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rjh321
(member) Sun 05-Jul-20 16:40:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you, Andrew, that's very helpful. I also live in Margate and Virgin Media appeared to have installed all over Thanet (well that's what they told us!), but your map proves otherwise. My friend not only has a cabinet in front of her house (installed August 2018) but also has the connection point installed, as do her neighbours. All the installation work seems to have been carried out but presumably it's never been finally connected.
Standard User codebee
(newbie) Mon 06-Jul-20 01:05:00
Print Post

VM doesn't cover all of Margate. I'm margate based and my neighbour who is 50ft away can get VM but I can't because they didn't dig our street. And they won't unless we foot the bill. Give them a call and see if they can send a spotter to have a look.
Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Jul-20 10:20:22
Print Post

I believe the Thanet install is still ongoing. Check to see if other addresses have service availability, it may just be a database error, or it could be the areas not been fully connected yet. Good luck getting sensible information out of Virgin

Only VM related work showing on roadworks.org is for clearing a blockage in Barnes Avenue.

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Jul-20 12:35:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by rjh321:
but also has the connection point installed, as do her neighbours. All the installation work seems to have been carried out but presumably it's never been finally connected.

Maybe the area isn't accepting orders either because its new and not ready to go live or capacity issues.

Matt - Using Huawei B535-323 on EE Unlimited

10 years in Technical Customer Service, Construction Trades and Administration - Now I'm a Furloughed Chef
Standard User rjh321
(member) Mon 06-Jul-20 13:05:35
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

In general, the Thanet area (which includes Margate) IS accepting orders. We are in another part of Margate and they've been offering it to us for over two years. Mr Saffron seems to have hit the nail on the head by showing that despite Virgin's claims (23rd May 2018 - "Margate and Ramsgate now ultrafast broadband ready", there are large areas of Thanet that haven't been connected yet (and perhaps may never be). It appears to be impossible at the moment to get through on the phone to Virgin Media to find out more.
  Print Thread

Jump to