User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Adamant
(legend) Wed 22-Jul-20 08:28:08
Print Post

Hub4 Ethernet port speeds

[link to this post]

With Gig1 on the horizon for everyone, does anyone know if there's any plans to offer a new hub with faster ethernet ports as at ~1100mbps connection speed I can't get a router in modem mode to take advantage of the speeds!

Adam
Sky Max LLU
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 22-Jul-20 09:16:07
Print Post

Re: Hub4 Ethernet port speeds

[re: Adamant] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Adamant:
With Gig1 on the horizon for everyone, does anyone know if there's any plans to offer a new hub with faster ethernet ports as at ~1100mbps connection speed I can't get a router in modem mode to take advantage of the speeds!

Maybe they will allow you to bond (LACP) two ports? Some third party routers let you do this for WAN.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User Adduxi
(newbie) Wed 22-Jul-20 12:47:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by Adamant:

This has been discussed in great lengths over in the VM Forums. It looks like the Hub4, and all preceeding Hubs are built to a cost, so yes the Hub4 has only 10/100/1000 ports. The cost of providing a 2.5GB port I guess would prove prohibitive.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Wed 22-Jul-20 16:04:37
Print Post

As a user of the Hub 4 and looking at this for a while, answer is currently NO!

As mentioned the ability to bond ports for use with dual wan router is something that could be done but not currently and probably never will be.

I think the advertising of is a bit flawed on the Gig1 service and also think the speed definitions on their website needs to be changed to reflect speeds in modem mode.

Matt - Just a JitteryPinger

10 years in Technical Customer Service, Construction Trades and Administration - Now I'm a Chef, whats next?
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(committed) Thu 23-Jul-20 14:46:07
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
As a user of the Hub 4 and looking at this for a while, answer is currently NO!

As mentioned the ability to bond ports for use with dual wan router is something that could be done but not currently and probably never will be.

I think the advertising of is a bit flawed on the Gig1 service and also think the speed definitions on their website needs to be changed to reflect speeds in modem mode.

Though of course a simple software update to run LACP across a pair of GigE ports to a switch then running a 2.5/5/10 Gb port to a router, nothing at all to do with dual WAN as that's 2 distinct connections, shouldn't be a major problem.

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Thu 23-Jul-20 15:02:23
Print Post

[re: CarlTSpeak] [link to this post]

That simple huh.

10 years in Technical Customer Service, Construction Trades and Administration - Now I'm a Chef, whats next?
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(committed) Thu 23-Jul-20 15:27:41
Print Post

Yup.

As it won't be handling gigabit upstream it's not like it has to be smart. Software change required, nothing else.

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Thu 23-Jul-20 15:32:44
Print Post

[re: CarlTSpeak] [link to this post]

I was being facetious.

The whole point of these hubs is to keep it simple and all in one for the customer whilst fulfilling their half of the contract which is supplying service promised.

Obviously 2 'additional" pieces of kit and some advanced know how isn't doing that.

Anyway pointless discussion, I'm past caring and seems many others are also.

Standard User CarlTSpeak
(committed) Thu 23-Jul-20 16:33:51
Print Post

Cool, then all is well and people will roll with the terms and conditions.

Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Sun 26-Jul-20 10:04:50
Print Post

The majority don't use modem mode either, so even if Carl's idea was reality it would make no difference to those that didn't care, or didn't have a clue, but of course would benefit those that did and wanted the extra expense.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to