User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MrGimper
(learned) Mon 22-Mar-21 12:15:25
Print Post

VMB 5x Static Wired Router Recommendation

[link to this post]

Hi All

Having the Voom 3 5x static IP service installed in a few weeks and understand that their kit will need to be "modem-only" mode to support this. I already have an internal WiFi mesh, so their WiFi would be disabled anyway for my use. Can anyone recommend the best "bang for buck" Cable Router please. Don't mind if the answer is a wireless device, as long as it can be disabled.

Thanks.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User DRW
(experienced) Fri 26-Mar-21 11:18:46
Print Post

Re: VMB 5x Static Wired Router Recommendation

[re: MrGimper] [link to this post]

I use the Virgin box working in Modem mode, feeding the output to a TP-Link Modem Router that I had connected to my previous Modem that was used to be connected to the PLusNet connection.

If you already have a Router capability then try connecting the output from the Virgin modem to your existing router. Doing this means that you do not have reconfigure the network.
Standard User danielhyde
(member) Fri 26-Mar-21 11:56:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrGimper:
Hi All

Having the Voom 3 5x static IP service installed in a few weeks and understand that their kit will need to be "modem-only" mode to support this. I already have an internal WiFi mesh, so their WiFi would be disabled anyway for my use. Can anyone recommend the best "bang for buck" Cable Router please. Don't mind if the answer is a wireless device, as long as it can be disabled.

Thanks.

That's new, I've always been told by Virgin you have to use their router as a router to get static IPs before.

Thanks
Dan

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 26-Mar-21 19:04:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrGimper:
Having the Voom 3 5x static IP service installed in a few weeks and understand that their kit will need to be "modem-only" mode to support this
If this is the business service it may come with a Hitron modem, whereas the consumer service comes with the Hub 3 (or Hub 4 for Gig1).

No idea on how the Hitron works, if it is just a DOCSIS modem that you connect your own router etc to. If this, then you might need a higher grade of router than your usual domestic to use 5 static IPs. (e.g. a Draytek or Ubiquity etc).

The Hub 3 is easy to put into modem mode and use with your own router, but this service is only 1 public IP which is dynamic (but very sticky).

Depends which mesh system, some are not suitable for connecting directly to a public IP and only handle WiFi, others do the full routing. (e.g. Google Nest WiFi).

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User MrGimper
(learned) Sat 27-Mar-21 00:26:33
Print Post

[re: danielhyde] [link to this post]

Seems some say modem-only for the 5x statics, and other say there is no modem-only as router-mode is needed for the GRE endpoints to support 5x statics.

Who knows!

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User MrGimper
(learned) Sat 27-Mar-21 00:28:36
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I bought a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X SFP which seems to get good reviews.

As for my WiFi, it's the Linksys Velop, and will be in bridge mode into my main LAN switch (which will connect to the EdgeRouter X)

My Broadband Speed Test
  Print Thread

Jump to