User comments on ISPs
  >> Vodafone

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User DougM
(committed) Sun 11-Apr-21 11:16:06
Print Post

Gigacube 5G

[link to this post]

Does anyone here have any experience of Gigacube 5G?

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/gigacube/

Their coverage checker now shows excellent indoor Vodafone 5G at my address and I see they offer unlimited data for £60/month and £50 setup on a 24-month contract. Interestingly the service is tied to an address—it’s not sold as portable, unlike the 4G equivalent.

Particularly interested to know how they handle connectivity; does it use a traditional mobile-data style APN or does the Gigacube get a public IP allocated? Does it support IPv6?

-==-
DougM
Standard User AyeUp
(learned) Sun 11-Apr-21 18:01:32
Print Post

Re: Gigacube 5G

[re: DougM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DougM:
Does anyone here have any experience of Gigacube 5G?

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/gigacube/

Their coverage checker now shows excellent indoor Vodafone 5G at my address and I see they offer unlimited data for £60/month and £50 setup on a 24-month contract. Interestingly the service is tied to an address—it’s not sold as portable, unlike the 4G equivalent.

Particularly interested to know how they handle connectivity; does it use a traditional mobile-data style APN or does the Gigacube get a public IP allocated? Does it support IPv6?

The device is portable in a way, you can take it with you to other locations and plug it into the mains at that location.

In respect of your latter questions, it does use a mobile style APN, you don't get a public IP its NAT shared and it doesn't currently support IPV6.

Regards

JM
Standard User DougM
(committed) Sun 11-Apr-21 20:44:38
Print Post

Re: Gigacube 5G

[re: AyeUp] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info.

While the technology is certainly portable, the contracted service includes the following:

“The Equipment and Plan is only for use at your Approved Address.”

I wonder if they actively enforce that by only applying the data allowance if it’s connected to a cell within range of the address. It would be a nasty shock to receive a bill for any data used away from home.

-==-
DougM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to