Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User aks
(committed) Fri 14-Feb-20 14:33:23
Print Post

New to SKY VoIP

[link to this post]

I have just taken fibre broadband with Sky and they have provisioned a VoIP telephone service, and provided an analogue telephone port on their SR203 router. All good and working so far.

If I want to replace my DECT phones and move to VoIP phones, will I need any kind of "login" details to make the telephone service work - I can imagine so, but these are not details that I have received - that I know of?

---
Tony
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 14-Feb-20 16:28:14
Print Post

Re: New to SKY VoIP

[re: aks] [link to this post]

I am not sure if they provide a "voip" service. They are providing an "analogue" service over VoIP rather than a VoIP service. There may be options but it may be that they are just doing a (sort of) like for like replacement just using different underlying technology.

Of course, the main thing that makes it different is that if the power goes then the router can't provide the telephony whereas the old phone port would (usually) as it was powered elsewhere. Of course if you are using wireless phones then the base station would be down anyway if there was no power.

EDIT : PS - just seen your other post. You could of course move to a different VoIP service altogether rather than using Sky.

Edited by ian72 (Fri 14-Feb-20 16:31:09)

Standard User aks
(committed) Fri 14-Feb-20 17:18:12
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Thanks. Well, I have included anytime calls, so I'm not really interested in paying again for another service tongue.

What I am trying to do is get my telephone service to work independently of the Sky provided router, just in case I want to use a different router at some point.

---
Tony

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 14-Feb-20 17:19:19
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
I am not sure if they provide a "voip" service. They are providing an "analogue" service over VoIP rather than a VoIP service.

What is it about the service that makes you think it isn't VoIP?

Oliver.
Standard User ferretuk
(committed) Fri 14-Feb-20 23:38:38
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

I think Ian was fairly clear - Sky have enabled an FXS port on their router to provide access to the phone service with an analogue handset. The phone service is provisioned using VOIP, but this isn't exposed to the customer, so Sky don't sell a VOIP service...

AAISP Home::1 Terabyte | IPv4 BQM | IPv6 BQM | AAISP VOIP | Ubiquiti USG | 2x Unifi AC-Lite & 1x AC-LR Wifi AP

Edited by ferretuk (Fri 14-Feb-20 23:42:07)

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 14-Feb-20 23:58:34
Print Post

[re: ferretuk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ferretuk:
Sky don't sell a VOIP service...

It is VoIP, and they are selling it. Whether they choose to market it as a VoIP service or not is another matter.

Oliver.
Standard User dect
(experienced) Sat 15-Feb-20 08:56:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
In reply to a post by ferretuk:
Sky don't sell a VOIP service...

It is VoIP, and they are selling it. Whether they choose to market it as a VoIP service or not is another matter.
Classic Sky, they always take control away from their end users.

Not all users are idiots so they should provide a managed (like it is now) or unmanaged (give user access details and let them get on with it) service.

Edited by dect (Sat 15-Feb-20 08:57:05)

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 15-Feb-20 09:03:52
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

It makes me wonder if it's a standard VoIP protocol they are using and whether login details will be discovered as was true with their broadband back in the day.

Oliver.
Standard User dect
(experienced) Sat 15-Feb-20 10:25:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
It makes me wonder if it's a standard VoIP protocol they are using and whether login details will be discovered as was true with their broadband back in the day.
Maybe worth someone seeing if they can get theirs via Wireshark.
Standard User aks
(committed) Sat 15-Feb-20 11:28:21
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Well that means I am stuck for now then, but I will ask Sky how I can use alternative equipment (Ibut 'm expecting to get a useless response from Sky).

Thanks all.

---
Tony
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to