Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jaba
(regular) Thu 20-Feb-20 00:04:19
Print Post

Cisco SPA122 probs

[link to this post]

I am trying to get a voip service using the above router/ATA plugged in to my home router.
Everything checks out the phone registers and I can dial the number and hear a ringing tone but I have no dial tone and of course no audible ring tone.
Is this a valid way to use this device or do I really need the SPA112 ATA only device.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 20-Feb-20 13:02:05
Print Post

Re: Cisco SPA122 probs

[re: jaba] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jaba:
I am trying to get a voip service using the above router/ATA plugged in to my home router.
Everything checks out the phone registers and I can dial the number and hear a ringing tone but I have no dial tone and of course no audible ring tone.
Is this a valid way to use this device or do I really need the SPA112 ATA only device.

I don't really understand your question. I have and SPA122. It has to connect to my router and I have to have a phone connect to at least one of the FXS ports.

For Sipgate my settings are similar to this.

Michael Chare
Standard User jaba
(regular) Thu 20-Feb-20 20:10:15
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
In reply to a post by jaba:

I don't really understand your question. I have and SPA122. It has to connect to my router and I have to have a phone connect to at least one of the FXS ports.

For Sipgate my settings are similar to this.

Thanks Michael, nevertheless you have answered my poorly constructed question by saying that you have one too that works with Sipgate. Mine of course does not at the moment. I signed up with Voipfone who have a helpline. They said I need to use a RJ11 to BT adaptor with a ringing capacitor.
If they are correct this will solve the issue for me after ages fiddling with settings.

Do you have to use this adaptor too ?

I tried an ADSL filter which is the nearest thing I have to hand but this did not effect the magic cure so I will wait for the necessary adaptor to arrive to get the service working.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 20-Feb-20 23:42:55
Print Post

As it happens I do use Voipfone.

My SPA112 is connected to my house telephone wiring so there is a capacitor at the master socket.

My preferred audio codec is G711a and the 2nd one is G711u

The dial plan is:

(999S0|11[1234579]S0|101S0|1x7[1-9]S0|123S0|16xS0|15[0234568]S0|116xxxS0|118xxxS0|**1571xxxS0|**2xxS0|xxx*xxxS0|3xxxxxxx*xxxS0|1410[1-8]xxxxxxxxxS0|14700[1-8]xxxxxxxxxS0|0[1-8]xxxxxxxxxS0|14100[1-9]x.|147000[1-9]x.|00[1-9]x.|<:01732>[2-9]xxxxxS0|09xxxxxxxx.!|*x.|*x#|*xx|*xx#|*#xx#|**x|*xx*|*xxx#|*#xxx#|#xxx#|#xx#)

This allows me to just dial the last 6 digits of Sevenoaks 01732 numbers.

Does that help enough?

Michael Chare
Standard User rcranswick
(member) Fri 21-Feb-20 00:54:20
Print Post

I can only comment about the SPA112 - I use RJ11 to BT Adapters and everything worked straight away. I'm on SIPGate though.
Standard User gc1
(regular) Fri 21-Feb-20 11:43:53
Print Post

Only very old telephone handsets require an external ring capacitor. Anything bought in the last 20 years or so, especially modern DECT phones will work with just a 2 wire connection, with no external ring capacitor required.

Are you sure that you don't have a faulty telephone handset ? I am very surprised that the ATA will dial a number without first giving a dial tone to the connected handset. The dial tone is usually an indication that registration to the SIP server has completed.

If the problem is no incoming ring signal or one way audio then look for NAT issues.
Standard User jaba
(regular) Fri 21-Feb-20 12:37:20
Print Post

[re: gc1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gc1:
Only very old telephone handsets require an external ring capacitor. Anything bought in the last 20 years or so, especially modern DECT phones will work with just a 2 wire connection, with no external ring capacitor required.

Are you sure that you don't have a faulty telephone handset ? I am very surprised that the ATA will dial a number without first giving a dial tone to the connected handset. The dial tone is usually an indication that registration to the SIP server has completed.

If the problem is no incoming ring signal or one way audio then look for NAT issues.

The dect phone I am using is a BT Studio Plus 5500, new and unused for maybe 6 or 7 years but certainly less than 10 years and does not give a dial tone without the ring capacitor in place (which I now have). The other handset tried is an old analogue set 25-30 years old. They both now work with the ring capacitor adaptor.
Just to be clear I was unable to call out as there was no dial tone but I could call the phone and hear a ringing tone but the phone itself never rang.
The phones would both register with the voip provider but apparently showing as being registered is not the same as the phone having a dial tone and being usable.
I have not made any calls yet but at least I am able to ring in and out to phones on the ATA.
Thanks for your input by the way.
Standard User jaba
(regular) Fri 21-Feb-20 12:43:25
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
As it happens I do use Voipfone.

My SPA112 is connected to my house telephone wiring so there is a capacitor at the master socket.

My preferred audio codec is G711a and the 2nd one is G711u

The dial plan is:

(999S0|11[1234579]S0|101S0|1x7[1-9]S0|123S0|16xS0|15[0234568]S0|116xxxS0|118xxxS0|**1571xxxS0|**2xxS0|xxx*xxxS0|3xxxxxxx*xxxS0|1410[1-8]xxxxxxxxxS0|14700[1-8]xxxxxxxxxS0|0[1-8]xxxxxxxxxS0|14100[1-9]x.|147000[1-9]x.|00[1-9]x.|<:01732>[2-9]xxxxxS0|09xxxxxxxx.!|*x.|*x#|*xx|*xx#|*#xx#|**x|*xx*|*xxx#|*#xxx#|#xxx#|#xx#)

This allows me to just dial the last 6 digits of Sevenoaks 01732 numbers.

Does that help enough?

Thanks Michael I now have the ring capacitor adaptor and at last I have a dial tone. I have subsequently used your info to help things along too.
Thanks for your helpful (as usual) input.
Standard User brookheather
(member) Fri 21-Feb-20 18:52:28
Print Post

If your CLI isn't working then try setting the Caller ID Method to ETSI FSK With PR(UK) at the bottom of the Voice -> Regional settings.

Cerberus FTTP + pfSense + Asus RT-AC67U AiMesh
Standard User bagleyic
(newbie) Sat 04-Apr-20 09:48:15
Print Post

[re: gc1] [link to this post]

I just spent ages getting a phone to ring with an SPA122 and I can confirm the only solution was to use a ring capacitor, even for a fairly modern phone with external PSU (BT Converse 2300). I just wired an old BT master socket in series as it's hidden under a desk but proper adaptors with capacitors built in are available.

I don't know why, the phone will ring fine plugged into a BT socket with pin 3 disconnected but not the SPA122.
  Print Thread

Jump to