Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Vanq
(newbie) Thu 09-Apr-20 14:11:31
Print Post

Mobile Calls

[link to this post]

Hi all,
New to looking at this but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I've read through a number of posts but not sure if what I want to do is possible.

I want to use an existing UK mobile number (O2) and have incoming calls to that number routed to then use the internet for connection when I'm in the house. Similar for outgoing calls.

I have a server here so can run something through, I've looked at apps like Your Phone but they appear to use the same phone signal. Phone signal here is awful hence the request. I've got a secondhand O2 boostbox I'm looking to set up but wanting to see if there is a more technical solution using VOIP

Thanks
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Apr-20 15:39:04
Print Post

Re: Mobile Calls

[re: Vanq] [link to this post]

Do you have a smartphone that will support Wifi calling? That is by far the simplest way to do it with mobile providers that support it.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Apr-20 16:49:25
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

WiFi calling gets a second vote from me, works a treat.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Vanq
(newbie) Thu 09-Apr-20 22:56:52
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks, yes I have a OnePlus7T pro and I'm in O2, which I've done the required settings to get Wifi calling. However it often just cuts a call dead randomly (often 3/4 times in a 10 minute call) even when I have full wifi signal - hence looking for a different solution.

This also happened with my iPhone 10 when that would actually use a wifi call.

Edited by Vanq (Thu 09-Apr-20 22:59:42)

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 12-Apr-20 00:01:47
Print Post

Your call cut out problem could be due to the quality of your broadband connection.

I have a Vodafone Sure Signal device for making and receiving mobile calls. It works well but I do also have a good broadband connection.

Michael Chare
Standard User E300
(regular) Sun 12-Apr-20 11:17:04
Print Post

One thing I've found is calls can drop if the mobile phone signal is marginal as the call can start out via Wi-Fi then it decides to jump across to the mobile network, where it then ends up dropping the call.

So try by enabling flight mode, then just turn on the Wi-Fi on the phone, so all calls pass over Wi-Fi and there is no attempt to move back to the mobile network. When I do this my Wi-Fi calls are 100% reliable, and the battery lasts ages whilst at home as the phone is no longer trying to hold on to a poor signal!

Caveat, I'm on EE so still get text messages on Wi-Fi calling, if you are on O2 then you can't receive text messages if in flight mode as they don't get sent via Wi-Fi calling, why I don't know but seems like it is only half a solution on some networks. A pain if you are somewhere with no mobile signal at but need to received text messages for things like two factor authentication..
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 12-Apr-20 11:51:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by Vanq:
Thanks, yes I have a OnePlus7T pro and I'm in O2, which I've done the required settings to get Wifi calling. However it often just cuts a call dead randomly (often 3/4 times in a 10 minute call) even when I have full wifi signal - hence looking for a different solution.

This also happened with my iPhone 10 when that would actually use a wifi call.

That is either a load problem (more likely during this crisis), or a fault with the O2 network. Unfortunately O2 (and Vodafone) were late to the WiFi calling idea, and only support calls not texts. Annoying if you need to receive a code from your bank when online shopping.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 12-Apr-20 11:52:39
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
I have a Vodafone Sure Signal device for making and receiving mobile calls. It works well but I do also have a good broadband connection.

I used to use one of these, then it failed, and for £60 to £90 I decided it was better to switch network to one that worked with WiFi calling properly. I gather Vodafone now does WiFi calling, so SureSignal sales should in theory be almost nothing now.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User Vanq
(newbie) Tue 14-Apr-20 14:59:23
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Thanks everyone. Been the same at a couple of properties with internet from different providers. Internet itself is pretty solid when gaming so might well be O2 though have little option but them as they're the only company who do signal here.

So guessing there isn't any more intricate VOIP solutions ?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Apr-20 15:10:45
Print Post

About as close as I think you would get to what you originally asked for is to setup a standard VoIP line (using whatever technology you like) and then forwarding the mobile calls to that number when you are in the house - it would be something of a faff and I am not sure if O2 would charge for the forwarded calls (I would assume it would come out of any call allowance you have).

I'm not aware of any other way to do what you specifically asked for in your OP.
  Print Thread

Jump to