Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sat 15-Aug-20 15:31:44
Print Post

Porting landline onto VoIP and ceasing copper line

[link to this post]

I've been testing VoIP with a view to getting rid of the landline once I've sorted out the connected alarm system as have FTTP and will be able to use the DECT handsets I have with my Fritzbox, it works a treat.

I've moved the number between WLR providers before how does it work if you are porting to a VoIP provider (in my case this will be A&A) and wanting to cease the copper pair.

Obviously this needs to remain active until ported but will the existing provider then proceed with an OR cease order and bill me for it alongside the final bill? Do I have to contact them or is this something A&A will handle with OR and bill me?

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU =>> ZeN FTTP (76 Mbps down, 18 Mbps up)
Router: Fritzbox 7530

Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User ferretuk
(committed) Sat 15-Aug-20 16:24:38
Print Post

Re: Porting landline onto VoIP and ceasing copper line

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

A&A will request the number transfer and this will trigger the cease without you doing anything. If there is a charge (not sure there will be as the jumper recovery fee is only for broadband ceases I think?) then your current voice service provider will bill you for it.

AAISP Home::1 Terabyte | IPv4 BQM | IPv6 BQM | AAISP VOIP | Ubiquiti USG | 2x Unifi AC-Lite & 1x AC-LR Wifi AP
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 15-Aug-20 17:04:12
Print Post

[re: ferretuk] [link to this post]

I have ported two numbers, at the same time, from BT to a VOIP provider and there was a charge for doing so. Part was the costs levied by the new provider to cover their admin and part, from BT although just billed as one. There was a reduction by having two done as there was only one admin fee.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ferretuk
(committed) Sat 15-Aug-20 18:36:17
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Indeed, A&A will charge a fee for porting the number in - The OP was referring to being billed for ceasing their current line though?

AAISP Home::1 Terabyte | IPv4 BQM | IPv6 BQM | AAISP VOIP | Ubiquiti USG | 2x Unifi AC-Lite & 1x AC-LR Wifi AP
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 15-Aug-20 19:04:39
Print Post

[re: ferretuk] [link to this post]

And that is what I pointed out ... my VOIP provider charges included the BT/OR fees. BT did not charge directly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sat 15-Aug-20 20:02:53
Print Post

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to reply, it's appreciated.

I'm aware of the (currently) £15 fee A&A will charge and that's fair enough, just wasn't sure if I'd be billed by the provider I'm moving from or A&A for the work OR will do to physically disconnect the copper at the street cabinet or exchange.

Again, no beef with being charged as it involves work by someone.

I'll ring A&A when the time comes and get it done over the phone as they are very pleasant to deal with, just like Zen are.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU =>> ZeN FTTP (76 Mbps down, 18 Mbps up)
Router: Fritzbox 7530

Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User ferretuk
(committed) Sat 15-Aug-20 21:04:53
Print Post

And as I pointed out, that charge was for porting the number. Your new VOIP provider charges that irrespective of the provider you are porting from - In my case I paid A&A to port in a number from Sipgate. The fee covers, and is set by, the gaining provider for the work they do. The losing provider does not generally charge (At least BT didn't when I ported to Sipgate and Sigate didn't when I ported to A&A)

The OP was asking about a fee for ceasing the line though - Any charges for this (if indeed there is are any) will be charged by the landline provider.

Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Sat 15-Aug-20 21:25:07
Print Post

Please explain how once the number transfer goes through, how you will get your broadband service. Or do I take you are on FTTP?
Standard User ferretuk
(committed) Sat 15-Aug-20 22:27:59
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

I've been testing VoIP with a view to getting rid of the landline once I've sorted out the connected alarm system as have FTTP

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 15-Aug-20 22:41:26
Print Post

I suggest that you ask whoever is providing your landline telephone service. It may depend on any contract that you have and there are always the T&C to read. If you also have a DSL service on the landline there maybe a charge for discontinuing that.

Michael Chare
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to