Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User farrinaf
(newbie) Tue 19-Jan-21 13:40:54
Print Post

VOIP Call Screening devices ?

[link to this post]

I have recently ported my former PTSN landline as a VOIP line to AAISP

As I'm using a Gigaset N300A IP, my previous call screening device (Truecall) which is PTSN based no longer works and consequently I am being plagued by unwanted calls!

One solution I have considered to reinstate the Truecall device is to purchase a ATA Telephone Adapter - eg say a Granstream HT802 and use this (rather than the N300A) as the VOIP connection endpoint. Essentially I would be reverting to using the PTSN functionality of the N300A. However I note that the Truecall website does not recommend using ATA adapters.

Does anyone know of a comparable device that works with VOIP or any software (eg running on say a Raspberry Pi) that could provide such functionality ?

Looking around there appears to be a dearth of such devices, but I cannot but help think as telephony migrates to VOIP this will become a wider issue.

Cheers
Standard User copex
(committed) Tue 19-Jan-21 21:22:55
Print Post

Re: VOIP Call Screening devices ?

[re: farrinaf] [link to this post]

freepbx would do the job, but it would be a learning curve http://www.raspberry-asterisk.org/
Standard User ashdown
(learned) Tue 19-Jan-21 22:26:29
Print Post

[re: copex] [link to this post]

I've used an Asterisk-based VOIP system (like FreePBX) for some years and I've found that a very effective anti-spam technique is to program the system to answer a call and play a short announcement ("Please hold the line, we're connecting your call") before ringing any of the house phones.

Almost all nuisance callers (or the automatic dialling systems they use) interpret this as an answering machine and hang up, whereas genuine callers wait. I don't even know the nuisance callers have called until I check the logs.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User farrinaf
(newbie) Thu 21-Jan-21 12:41:29
Print Post

[re: ashdown] [link to this post]

Thanks for the suggestions - Having has a quick look I suspect that Asterisks is rather overkill for what I need (as well as having somewhat of a steep learning curve).

That said if the call spammers continue at the current rate I may have to go down this route.
Cheers
Standard User dragon2611
(experienced) Thu 21-Jan-21 13:54:44
Print Post

There is an option in the control panel to block withheld/ unknown callers which may help.

I wonder if turning on the announcement that the call is being recorded (even if you don't turn on the actual call recording) would make them think twice.
Standard User Ixel
(committed) Thu 21-Jan-21 14:14:59
Print Post

Many years ago I did this with FreePBX/Asterisk, but I don't use that anymore as I don't host it locally. I currently use Flextel and have two phone numbers. One which is an 03 number which is unlikely to get spam calls, and one which is a normal local area code which can and does occasionally receive spam calls.

The 03 number is a direct connection to my phone, while the local area code number points to an IVR system where it has a pre-recorded message telling them to press 1 to be connected pretty much. If they don't press 1 then it won't silently redirect them to my 03 number. Not the best setup I imagine but it works.
Standard User farrinaf
(newbie) Thu 28-Jan-21 10:47:47
Print Post

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

Thanks to all for yet further suggestions and observations.

As I continued to be plagued by unwanted SPAM callers (some international, some ostensibly local, but patently also international) somewhat in desperation I decided to go down the Grandstream HT802 route and purchased the same.

I utilised the Grandstream as my VOIP connection point to AAISP and then connected one of its 2 FXS (RJ11) ports to the input side of my Truecall device (required a RJ11 to BT Socket adapter). I then connected the RJ11 output on the Truecall device to the RJ11 PTSN input (RJ11) port on my Gigaset N300A IP.

The Gigaset Control Panel successfully showed a PTSN connection and test calls show that the Truecall device is operating totally normally and I am back in business!!

The average cost of an overnight call to AAISP to synchronise the Truecall unit is currently 2p (takes under a minute).

As an added bonus I can still use the remaining 5 VOIP accounts on the Gigaset, plus there is a spare FXS port on the Grandstream (obviously these will not NOT protected by Truecall device),

For the record the Truecall unit did require a firmware update (I rang their help desk and they imitated the same via the usual modem dial up call route). Mine is quite an old device >5 years old.

Current Truecall firmware I am using is

Runtime Version 34.11
Macro Version 6.28

Gigaset firmware is

42.250 (422500000000 / V42.00)

Delighted to be back to peace and quiet.
  Print Thread

Jump to