Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Robbob9
(newbie) Fri 26-Mar-21 22:25:47
Print Post

SMS TEXT MESSAGES

[link to this post]

Often Banks, Amazon etc insist on sending a security code by SMS in order to log into their accounts. This is a problem for anyone like myself who can not get a mobile phone signal. In a couple of months FTTP is being connected to our rural location. I may be wrong, but I understand that text messages can not be sent by VOIP? If this is the case, does anyone know if this will be technically possible in the future as I fear that this security measure will become a regular occurrence in the future.

Thanks,

Robert
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 26-Mar-21 22:58:20
Print Post

Re: SMS TEXT MESSAGES

[re: Robbob9] [link to this post]

You could use Wifi calling. For this you need a mobile phone which can do this and an account with one of the network operators or maybe iD Mobile.

AIUI Andrews and Arnold allow you to have a pseudo mobile number which can receive text messages and forward them by email.

The Inland Revenue will ring a VOIP number and speak the code.

For banks you can possibly use a card and a card reader that provides a code.

Receiving text messages sometimes works when there is not enough signal for a phone call.

Michael Chare
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 26-Mar-21 23:44:33
Print Post

Do you have a mobile with O2 ? If so, they have a Femtocell offering and will either sell you one or even give you one free - that connect to your broadband and provides a local cell for a few defined users.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Sat 27-Mar-21 05:25:35
Print Post

What mobile network are you with and what handsets do you use?

WiFI calling is definitely great but isn’t yet totally universal among providers and all phone plans. These days if the phone and network support WiFi Cslling they generally also support SMS over it too.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Mar-21 08:40:26
Print Post

Another vote for wifi-calling.

I use an iPhone with EE .... and it works a treat.

Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Sat 27-Mar-21 08:53:07
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Do you have a mobile with O2 ? If so, they have a Femtocell offering and will either sell you one or even give you one free - that connect to your broadband and provides a local cell for a few defined users.

I’ve used the Vodafone equivalent for over a decade. They have been a mixed blessing due to their (somewhat infamous) unreliability.

Vodafone have now announced they are retiring Sure Signal service to in its entirety this year in the wake of WiFI Calling. To be expected really.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/network/calling-features/...

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Robbob9
(newbie) Sat 27-Mar-21 09:52:16
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I am with 02 but on enquiring , 02 have said that their Boostbox (femitocell) is for business customers only. It would of been an ideal solution so thank you MHC for the suggestion.

Robert
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Mar-21 10:15:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by Robbob9:
Often Banks, Amazon etc insist on sending a security code by SMS in order to log into their accounts. This is a problem for anyone like myself who can not get a mobile phone signal. In a couple of months FTTP is being connected to our rural location. I may be wrong, but I understand that text messages can not be sent by VOIP? If this is the case, does anyone know if this will be technically possible in the future as I fear that this security measure will become a regular occurrence in the future.

Thanks,

Robert
Do you have a smart phone? I'd expect your bank to have a banking app which won't need SMS and is more secure.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Sat 27-Mar-21 10:19:01)

Standard User Robbob9
(newbie) Sat 27-Mar-21 10:47:40
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Yes Andrue, a Xiaomi MIX 3.
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Sat 27-Mar-21 11:20:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by Robbob9:
Yes Andrue, a Xiaomi MIX 3.

It's compatible with WiFi Calling on O2...looks like you need to enable it on your O2 account beforehand and then change the setting on the phone to activate it:

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/network-coverage-and-inter...

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Pheasant (Sat 27-Mar-21 11:25:07)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to