Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 27-Mar-21 18:09:10
Print Post

Re: SMS TEXT MESSAGES

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Most of the phones associated with this one are personal! We have a small two person consultancy - facilities attached to and inside our house.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Mar-21 18:17:06
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Most of the phones associated with this one are personal! We have a small two person consultancy - facilities attached to and inside our house.
Ha, that shows how the arbitary nature of business/consumer at the telcos. I wonder if you'd have had such assistance from any of the others.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User TimJ
(committed) Sat 27-Mar-21 18:44:50
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

It's compatible with WiFi Calling on O2...looks like you need to enable it on your O2 account beforehand and then change the setting on the phone to activate it:

Be warned not all networks currently support SMS while on WiFi calling. I know Vodafone does not. I was forever switching WiGi calling on/off for this reason. I have now moved to ID Mobile.

I have just found this This and both Vodafone and O2 will be adding this.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Sat 27-Mar-21 18:58:17
Print Post

[re: TimJ] [link to this post]

Vodafone 100% support SMS on WiFi Calling.

I just forced it now to prove it works. They didn’t used to but they definitely do now.

Is your phone up to date? What are you running?

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Pheasant (Sat 27-Mar-21 19:03:56)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 27-Mar-21 19:04:04
Print Post

Always been open with them and I was Cellnet's 11th non-internal GSM customer, and my boss was 10th. At the start they issued number in a strict order 08xx nnnn11 and I have had that number ever since, through three companies before my own.

The attitude at O2 comes from the customer first principles that BT instilled when they were part of BT and it still remains. I do see EE moving that way too.

We had an issue with bad coverage and given the size of some of my mobile bills over the years - I hit £1500 in one month around '99 they were happy to provide the cell even with low bills these days,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Mar-21 19:43:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by Pheasant:
only a couple of months. Was new in jan 21. O2 still don’t but plan to.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Mar-21 19:48:57
Print Post

Always been open with them and I was Cellnet's 11th non-internal GSM customer, and my boss was 10th. At the start they issued number in a strict order 08xx nnnn11 and I have had that number ever since, through three companies before my own.
Brilliant. I’ve been with EE (formerly Orange) since Nov 94, and from my old account number I was probably customer 1400 or so.

The attitude at O2 comes from the customer first principles that BT instilled when they were part of BT and it still remains. I do see EE moving that way too.
Yes, but my friends and I call our mobile operator helpdesk once every 10 years or so. I’m more concerned that O2 has only 2x10 MHz deployed on all the masts in Hampshire that I’ve so far checked. This makes them the weakest network for data, and given lots of “calls” are now over data services rather than the legacy PSTN, it shows a massive lack of investment by Telefonica.

Sadly I have to advise my friends to avoid O2 (and their MVNO’s) due to the lack of capacity. They have the ability to improve as seen in the east of England, but here on the west side things are awful. I have to assume Vodafone has the same problem in reverse.

2x10MHz of LTE for 28million users, contrast with EE whom have deployed around 2x40 Mhz for 22 million users. It doesn’t add up.

Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Sat 27-Mar-21 20:04:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by Pheasant:
only a couple of months. Was new in jan 21. O2 still don’t but plan to.

And mysteriously my last remaining Sure Signal stopped working last month. But I never received any comms about it. Oh well at least there hasn’t been a “gap” with SMS.

No doubt similar logic as to why O2 haven’t fully retired their femto’s either for poor net coverage customers.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User TimJ
(committed) Sat 27-Mar-21 20:05:59
Print Post

A Spokesperson for Vodafone told ISPreview.co.uk:

“I can confirm, we do now support SMS over Wi-Fi. Since December, it has been enabled on Apple devices supporting iOS 14 (iPhone 6S and above), on Google Pixel 3 (and above), and is being delivered to Samsung devices supporting Android 11 (with the feature being added as part of the Android update).

We will be working with other manufacturers to bring the feature to additional devices where support is available as we proceed through the year.”

So we are both partially correctI. My phone is too old. A Sumsung A3 (2017) all available updates installed, but still running android 8.0.0

It was definitely not working for me 2 weeks ago.

Now on a new phone and ID Mobile. It looks as if changing network was unnecessary, but it has saved money. I have also found that switching between LTE and WiFi calling if vastly better, but again that is probably due to the new phone rather than network.
Standard User gary333
(experienced) Sat 27-Mar-21 21:59:28
Print Post

We had an issue with bad coverage and given the size of some of my mobile bills over the years - I hit £1500 in one month around '99 they were happy to provide the cell even with low bills these days,

We’re you on an 850 or 860 number? If you had a number from the start the chances are you were a customer on the “Jupiter” system (if memory doesn’t fail me these were 850) unless you got the contract from Martin Dawes then you’d have been a Lumina customer on the “DISE” system (with 860). Regardless of what you were back then you'll likely be on the DISE system now if you have multiple accounts.

If you were on Jupiter then most likely any good experiences you had (from a customer services perspective) from the midish 90's onwards (but certainly from 2000+) were likely a result of Ventura rather than BT as they ran a lot of that side of the business for cellnet/BTcellnet. They also ran a lot of DISE but from the late 90’s.

Ventura also ran the service provider that most consumers with cellnet phones would be put on to (called - call connections ltd). The system they used was called Liberty and had Securicor, Barclaycard, the link, phones4u, carphone warehouse etc on.

I remember the "big number change over", there were a lot of stubborn people who wouldn't change - one of my first working exeperiences was dealing with these people and negotiating the switch.

Edited by gary333 (Sat 27-Mar-21 22:50:32)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to